What To Use For Easter Basket Handle?

Decorating By LadyinaRedApron Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 9:34pm by Fairytale

LadyinaRedApron  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyinaRedApron Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 4:54am
post #1 of 10

I want to make the oh so popular Easter basket cake for Easter. I've never officially really worked with fondant so I was wondering if I should make the handle of the basket out of fondant (if so do I need to add gumpaste - how much?) or should I use royal icing, or should I use candy melts?

Any help would be appreciated!

9 replies
 armywife1  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywife1 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 5:13am
post #2 of 10

I just made a purse cake and wrapped the fondant around a piece of wire. I left the ends of the wire exposed so that I could stick that part into the cake. HTH.

madgeowens  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 6:00am
post #3 of 10

yOu can use 50/50 fondant and gumpaste and you can use fondant with tylose powder to help it dry quicker....my first basket I used just fondant you can see in the pics.....if I did it over it would be with 50/50 hth

juleebug  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juleebug Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:45pm
post #4 of 10
 bashini  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 10

Hi, you can make it with pastillage. Dry it and then you can cover it with fondant, gumpaste or 50/50 mix.

Fairytale  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:59pm
post #6 of 10

I make lost of basket cakes. I use irrigation tubing wrapped in extruded fondant for my handles (see example in my album).

LeckieAnne  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 10

Whimsical Bakehouse has a tutorial on their site (just scroll down for it if you click the link) on how to make one from chocolate - like the candy melts.

http://www.whimsicalbakehouse.com/decorate/stepbystep.html

Uniqueask  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 6:26pm
post #8 of 10

I was going to say you can wrap fondant, around floral wires, but you were already told, lots of good advice were given. FAIRYTALE that is a stunning basket.

LadyinaRedApron  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyinaRedApron Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I will probably be trying all of these ideas and see which one holds up! I'll let you know and definitely post pictures.

THANKS!!!!

Fairytale  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:34pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairytale

I make lost of basket cakes. I use irrigation tubing wrapped in extruded fondant for my handles (see example in my album).

Thanks. I won a prize from Martha Stewart for it. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%