Tips For Doing Stripes

Decorating By LindieLu Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 5:23pm by sillywabbitz

LindieLu Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:11am
post #1 of 9

I want to a make an 8 inch cake covered in white fondant with red strips, as seen on this cake: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1449117.html

What is the best way to make the red strips evenly spaced around the cake? Seems like there has to be a mathematical formula or something. icon_biggrin.gif

Any tips on doing the stripes are welcomed as well. icon_smile.gif

8 replies
nicoles0419 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:24am
post #2 of 9

I bought a tape messure that is for like messuring fabric and people widths, and I use that on my cake when I need to space things out like stripes or the basket weave, becuase i can wrap it around my cake

aDBakes Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:36am
post #3 of 9

you can always take a piece of ribbon that is 'crease-able' and measure it exactly around the cake, then fold to get how many stripes you need and use that to re-measure on the cake

Justforfun751 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 4:16am
post #4 of 9

Wilton makes a cake dividing matt that works, or you can make your own with a piece of parchment paper. Just trace your cake on the paper, cut out the circle (square, etc...), and fold your paper in half like you would if you were making a paper snowflake.
Continue folding in half (pie wedge shape) until you have as many creases as you would like stripes. The first fold would give you two pieces of cake, 2nd - 4 pieces, 3rd - 8 pieces... If you wanted a different number, you could fold in thirds, etc...
When you unfold the template, you can mark the top of the cake into the number of pieces/stripes that you want. Hope this makes sense!

dguerrant Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 7:12am
post #5 of 9

what a great idea justforfun!!!! love it

Jenny0730 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:49pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justforfun751

Wilton makes a cake dividing matt that works, or you can make your own with a piece of parchment paper. Just trace your cake on the paper, cut out the circle (square, etc...), and fold your paper in half like you would if you were making a paper snowflake.
Continue folding in half (pie wedge shape) until you have as many creases as you would like stripes. The first fold would give you two pieces of cake, 2nd - 4 pieces, 3rd - 8 pieces... If you wanted a different number, you could fold in thirds, etc...
When you unfold the template, you can mark the top of the cake into the number of pieces/stripes that you want. Hope this makes sense!

I'm getting ready to do a stripe cake and was planning on eyeballing it! This is a great idea! thanks! I learn so much on cc!

scociny Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justforfun751

What a great idea! Thanks!! thumbs_up.gif

Justforfun751 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 9

Wish I could take credit for the idea, but I'm sure that I read it in a book - maybe Collette Peters? Glad it helped!

sillywabbitz Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 5:23pm
post #9 of 9

I usually eyeball it but being a bit type A, I always do halves so place the first 2 stripes dead across from each other, the will break the cake in half, then I put the next 2 half way between each of those, now your cake is in quarters, then I place another set between each quarter and usually that does it. For square cakes I do this one side at a time. Just another optionicon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%