Opinions Plse -Providing Plain Cake After Making Sketch!

Decorating By FrostedFantasies Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 11:22am by FrostedFantasies

FrostedFantasies Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:19am
post #1 of 9

I'm looking for a lot of opinions, so please throw your .02 in!

A client asked me to make a round cake to match a baby shower invitation with a Noah's Ark/animal theme. I described what I could do (within her budget) and she said that was fine. I told her I would draw up a sketch for her to approve.

Today I contacted her and told her I the sketch was done and her response was, "well, we decided not to go with that theme, but found a topper for $25 that we want you to match instead. Here's the link."

It's not like I care about re=doing a drawing of the cake, but am I being weird by not wanting to deliver a "plain" cake so that the hostesses can jam a topper on it? I feel like if my name/reputation is attached to the cake, then I should have some say--am I being too sensitive? (You won't hurt my feelings, promise!) icon_biggrin.gif[/i]

8 replies
Odyssey Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:26am
post #2 of 9

I would be a bit annoyed having already done the sketch and thus some planning on how to do the cake. If she wants you to match the topper it can't be too bad can it? Could you perhaps post the link? Maybe there are colors or embellishments you could add.

On the other hand a simple, but well done cake can be just as amazing as an extravagant one. I always have fun with complicated cakes, but maybe this is a chance to show you have great basic skills as well.

cakeinthebox4U Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:32am
post #3 of 9

I had a friend ask me to do something similar. She provided me with two plastic toppers and the invitation to go on. I was a little weary as well since I much prefer to make my own toppers from fondant/gumpaste but it actually turned out alright. Here is a link with the invitation included to see if you'd like.

jammjenks Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:48am
post #4 of 9

It doesn't matter to me. Once they pay me for their cake, they can run over it with their car if they so choose. I just don't get that emotionally attached to cakes I guess. I take the picture, box it up, send it on, and go on to the next one. icon_lol.gif

Torts Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:49am
post #5 of 9

Do you not charge for the sketching/preparation of the cake? My brother's wedding was called off, and while the cake hadn't been started (it was 6 months prior to the wedding), the decorator still charged for her time designing the cake.

FrostedFantasies Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:58am
post #6 of 9

@Torts- No, shame on me, no deposit yet. icon_redface.gif
@jammjenks- I'm not emotionally attached, per se, it's that it's a "friend of a friend" and I don't want some cheesy cake topper on the cake and then people saying, "oh, she made THAT cake!?!?" I acknowledge I'm a bit of a control freak.

Do you all think I should ask for the topper so I can at least incorporate it (and the colors!) onto the cake before delivery? I think I may do that....

Thanks for the awesome feedback, everyone! thumbs_up.gif

Torts Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:04am
post #7 of 9
Originally Posted by FrostedFantasies

@Torts- No, shame on me, no deposit yet. icon_redface.gif

AH! No shame... I was just curious what was industry standard really. I'm still learning. I suppose it's something to keep in mind, though!

I definitely understand your reasoning in not wanting to do a cake that you feel is below your skill level (for lack of a better term). Every cake you make is an advertisement. I'd probably tell her she could get a grocery store cake and save your energy for building a reputation rather than accommodating everyone's whim.

BlakesCakes Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:26am
post #8 of 9

I always ask for the topper prior to making the cake.

I need to know how wide the base is, how heavy it is, how stable it is, what kind of support needs to go under it, if it will fit properly on the top tier, and if the colors on the cake work with the colors on the topper.

FrostedFantasies Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:22am
post #9 of 9

@blakescakes- ALL awesome reasons for me to request the topper beforehand!!! Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%