Microscope Cake Theme

Decorating By Cali8973 Updated 10 Apr 2010 , 7:03pm by Cali8973

Cali8973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cali8973 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:20am
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone,
I teach college students studying to be medical lab technicians, and would love to make a cake in the shape of a microscope. I have seen microscopes molded out of chocolate and also out of rice treats, but not an actual cake in that shape. Ive tried looking for cake pans/molds in that shape but no luck. I've even tried to find out if it is possible to have a custom pan made, but no luck there either. Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance! icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 3

I think carving the basic body (semi-frozen) out of cake is your best bet. Just use a pound cake - even WASC works fine or the other doctored box mixes (adding pudding and eggs etc...to strengthen it) work well for carving too. All in recipes...

I would use gumpaste/fondant for all the smaller pieces (stage, objectives, knobs, nosepiece, maybe even arm). You could use gelatin sheets for anything clear (eyepieces) if you want it more realistic. Then maybe use a oreo cookie straw for the body tube. I used one for a cannon and it worked great. That is, if you like everything to be edible. I know I do! Sounds like a cool cake - please share photos after!

Cali8973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cali8973 Posted 10 Apr 2010 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 3

I appreciate the info. Im sure I can find a very basic microscope and carve it out. I like the idea of pound cake. It is nice and firm and should work. Will look at incorporating your other ideas too. I have more creativity than talent, though. LOL But its worth a shot and its the thought that counts icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%