Deep Red Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By practiceandpatience Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 4:08am by practiceandpatience

practiceandpatience Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
practiceandpatience Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:10am
post #1 of 7

How do I get gumpaste roses a deep dark red??
I can't seem to find a dust that is that dark, I once saw (I think on a challenge) where someone dipped there gumpaste roses in a dye???
please share your techniques!

6 replies
tirechic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirechic Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:20am
post #2 of 7

I try to tint my gumpast as red as I can get it, then use the dust to add effect, I have also used the wilton color spray to add a darker color, then lightly dusted with black for a blood red effect, this works well for goth cakes. Hth.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:27am
post #3 of 7

I just did some dark red anenomes. I started w/red fondant mixed w/Tylose then added Flaming Red powdered color (CK) and Super Chinese Red (CK) gel color. Using two different colors of red really worked well to deepen the color but it did take a lot of each. The powder kept the GP from getting too sticky. I then dusted them in spots with burgendy luster dust (CK). They came out really dark and rich. They are the ones in my pics sitting on top of the white / black wedding cake.
HTH

practiceandpatience Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:36am
post #4 of 7

Thank you both, I can't wait to try these techniques!
and thank you bonnell for giving me specific colors to look for!

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:25am
post #5 of 7

AAhhhh, I'll bet you saw Sue McMahon's way of deep coloring gumpaste. I attended a seminar many years ago and her work is amazing. She makes the roses on long wires and then dips them in a deeply colored solution of grain alcohol. The final result is amazing and incredibly lifelike. Even close up you would swear you are looking at real roses.

icon_smile.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:46am
post #6 of 7

I had to do deep purple this week. Starting out with gray and then adding purple helped to get the deep color I needed. Then you could do as tirechic said about dusting to add depth to the color.

practiceandpatience Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 4:08am
post #7 of 7

Baker_Rose, I can't remember who it was, but what I was wondering about that technique is, does that much liquid affect the rigidness of the gumpaste??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%