Premaking Fondant Disks For Cupcakes

Decorating By Odyssey Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 1:33am by Odyssey

Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:00am
post #1 of 5

I want to make some fondant disks to go on some cupcakes for a convention my family helps with. Unfortunately we are going on a trip just before the con so the disks need to be prepared beforehand.

How far ahead of time can they be made, some will need extra decoration (BC or RI)? Should I try freezing them or just leave them in a safe place lightly covered? They are going to be placed on fresh cupcakes right before the con...

4 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:23am
post #2 of 5

I made some fondant daisies for cupcakes about a week before the party. Just so I could just sit them on quickly. They still melted in our mouths!

pattycakes55d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakes55d Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:28am
post #3 of 5

at Xmas I did that. The point is to keep the fondant soft I think. So, I got a sealed container, put the discs in between parchment paper and sealed the lid. They lasted quite a few days like that. I just took them out as I needed them. I just made sure to keep the air from them. Hope that helps.

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:31am
post #4 of 5

Linda McClure (the Cricut Lady) cuts her designs out ahead of time, lays them on a cakeboard, covers lightly w/plastic wrap and puts them in the freezer. She says they work great when she takes them out.

Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:33am
post #5 of 5

I guess I'll do a trial run with one in the freezer and one in a container to see what I like. The freezing option sounds more appealing since we are going to be away for 2 weeks or more and come back less than a week before the event. AKA no sleep and no time during the week to work on more than making the cupcakes. I want them to hopefully be decorated and stay fresh for 1 month if possible so I can just cover the cuppies in BC and stick the fondant disks on top. I don't expect anyone to eat this fondant, but I don't want to kill anyone if they do eat it icon_razz.gif

Thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%