Guitar Strings??

Decorating By brandibaker Updated 31 Mar 2010 , 11:39pm by costumeczar

brandibaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandibaker Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:15pm
post #1 of 14

I am making a guitar cake and I can't think of what to use for the strings. I made one before and just piped them and they broke.
so Help!! icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks
Brandi

13 replies
aliciag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 14

i made one and used silver painted spaghetti (in my photos)

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:43am
post #3 of 14

I was going to suggest spaghetti!

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:56am
post #4 of 14

On mine I used a clay extruder and fondant, but they sagged. Spagetti wasn't long enough.

lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:06am
post #5 of 14

I just got done with my guitar cake for this weekend. It was alot of work and alot of fun. Turned out great. Don't have pics yet :0) I used dental floss for the strings. It works really great. Of course the bride is informed of this, so they know they have to remove the dental floss and the toothpicks, which are hiden under the fondant pieces to keep them tight. It looks just like real guitar strings, no sagging at all. I also was informed of unbreakable gel, but I never got around to making it, even thou, it doesn't take that long to do. So I haven't tried that yet. So if you do use this method, make sure they sign a release form that they know about this. I'm also writing a small information envolpe for the reception site to leave with the cake. I am covering all the bases, don't want anyone to eat something they shouldn't. I usually like everyone else, don't like to do anything but all edible art on my cakes, but this was one thing I wanted to really look good, and it does. Good luck and happy cake decorating thumbs_up.gif

brandibaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandibaker Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:44am
post #6 of 14

thank you everyone! I think I will use spaghetti icon_smile.gif what do you paint it with?

aliciag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:03am
post #7 of 14

I used vodka and luster dust and stuck them in a styrofoam to dry.

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:22am
post #8 of 14

I use extruded fondant on my guitar cakes. The only thing I can say is do the strings at the venue. I did them before hand once and they broke from the bouncing (even a little) in the car. There are several pics of guitar cakes in my photos. I use grey and then silver luster to paint them once they are on.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:50am
post #9 of 14

what is unbreakable gel? how do you make it? or where do you buy it?
thanks

emilyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilyg Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 14

Hi Brandi,

Here's an option for your guitar strings - comb SugarVeil into lines (use the "Heavy Lines" or "Deep Lines" edge of the Confectionery Comb, and allow the lines to set. If you'd like to paint them silver, mix grain alcohol (Everclear) with the silver dust and then paint over the set lines before removing them from the mat.

Here are a few photos for you.

Michele at SugarVeil
[email protected]
www.sugarveil.com
LL
LL

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:59pm
post #11 of 14

You can make unbreakable gel by mixing tylose with water and piping it out, then letting it dry for a while. If you let it dry out completely it will be really stiff and shrink a little, though, so make sure it's totally dry before you put it on the cake.

nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:56pm
post #12 of 14

thank you costumeczar.....I appreciate it
nancy

iluvjay829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvjay829 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:09pm
post #13 of 14

I have done two guitar cakes. I used spaghetti strings on the first one, and I had the hardest time making them line up straight. The second one, I used gumpaste for the end pieces and actually threaded them with silver metallic thread. They looked great!

Image[/img]

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:39pm
post #14 of 14

That reminded me that I've also used kite string painted with silver luster dust before. That looks good because the kite string is smooth and about the right thickness for guitar strings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%