Large Volume Icing Storage

Decorating By Kellbella Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 2:43am by lilthorner

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 9

Just want to know what others use to store their BC icing in when you have a large order to fill. I'm planning on making all my BC at the beginning of the week for a weekend wedding (250 people) and want to know should I store my BC in a rubbermaid bin? What does everyone else do in this situation. I don't want to have all my tupperware bowls occupied with icing. Just curious.

8 replies
tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 9

I have HUGE glass serving bowls, I put my bc in them, cover them in saran wrap, press em down tight to get all air out then put press n seal over that. It works great.

I usually dont use plastic because it holds flavors, (mine does anyway) even after going through dishwasher. I had four gallon tupperware bins that I brought for this and now they still smell like my lemon butter creme. I am afraid they will change my vanilla to a lemon flavor.

edited to add: I have also used party bowls (the big ones) from party supply store, they are a harder plastic and dont seem to hold odors as bad..i used them until i got glass ones.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 9

Have you tried sealing newpaper in your Tupperware for a day or two? Supposed to take odors out.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 9

really. WOW.. I will give that a try. sunday paper finally has a use !! icon_biggrin.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:01am
post #5 of 9

I have a HUGE container with a lid I found at Walmart. It holds 2.5 gallons. I always make large batches of buttercream the first of the week for all my cake orders. I have a couple of these and stack.

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:24am
post #6 of 9

I store my icing in the 5 qt icecream pails. Nice snap on lid and handle to carry it. Also they stack well.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:26am
post #7 of 9

I make 15 lbs of icing at a time in my Hobart mixer. I make two of these each week. I have 5 gallon bowls from Tupperware that I have that have lids that I store it in in the freezer.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:13am
post #8 of 9

Thanks you all! icon_biggrin.gif

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:43am
post #9 of 9

those cambro storage buckets and/or empty satin ice buckets!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%