Is It Too Soon To Make Gum Paste Flowers?

Decorating By andyneal331 Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 2:31am by andyneal331

andyneal331 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 13

I'm making gum paste flowers to go on a cake for next Saturday (one week away) and I was wondering if it's to early to go ahead and color the gumpaste, cut out the flowers and put them on a flower former to dry? Or is it too early and they'll crack??

I also want them to be edible.. would it be okay to mix 50/50 of gum paste (Wilton's recipe) and Satin Ice fondant?? Would they crack??

Or what about MMF and gum paste mixture.. would it firm up enough?! icon_confused.gif

12 replies
bashini Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 9:50pm
post #2 of 13

Hi, I use gumpaste most of the time for flowers and I always make these kind of things in advance. So I don't think its too early to make them. icon_smile.gif

pearlydi Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 13

Gumpaste flowers last a lot, I usually too mix 50/50 gumpaste and fondant, so go ahead they will not crack. You are on time!!

andyneal331 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearlydi

Gumpaste flowers last a lot, I usually too mix 50/50 gumpaste and fondant, so go ahead they will not crack. You are on time!!

Thank you both so much! Has anyone mixed 50/50 gumpaste and MMF and it get sturdy enough?? I like the way MMF tastes way better!

brincess_b Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 10:33pm
post #5 of 13

What kind of flowers are you making? If u are using wires or stamens, they are inedible.

I would say stick to gumpaste - easier to get more realistic flowers, and the paste will go much thinner. Still edible just in a crunchy way. The gumpaste won't crack - knead it properly, and use it quickly, u will b fine.
A mix will still give good flowers - personally I don't like it though.
Even straight fondant could b used if they are simpler flowers.

Flowers can usually b made ages in advance, especially if it's gumpaste.
xx

andyneal331 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by brincess_b

What kind of flowers are you making? If u are using wires or stamens, they are inedible.

I would say stick to gumpaste - easier to get more realistic flowers, and the paste will go much thinner. Still edible just in a crunchy way. The gumpaste won't crack - knead it properly, and use it quickly, u will b fine.
A mix will still give good flowers - personally I don't like it though.
Even straight fondant could b used if they are simpler flowers.

Flowers can usually b made ages in advance, especially if it's gumpaste.
xx

Here is the cake I'm trying to duplicate:

http:[email protected]/3466493483/

Which brings me to a new question... I was thinking I'd have to use lollipop sticks for the ones above the cake, but now I'm wondering if that's possibly gumpaste and if that holds up that well??? I'm not worried about the ones on top being inedible being on a lollipop stick if that's what I used, but the ones on the sides.. I definitely want them to be able to be eaten.

Also, I posted a post yesterday related to the same thing but one main question also didn't get answered...
I made my own Gum Paste, so I got the recipe from the Wilton Gum-Tex container... here is the recipe and instructions:

1 TBS gum-tex
4 cups sifted powder sugar
1 heaping TBS glucose
4 TBS warm water

In large bowl, combine Gum-tex with 3 cups of confectioners sugar. Make a well in the center and set aside. Combine water and glucose in a glass measuring cup. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds until mixture is clear. Pour into well of sugar and mix until well blended. (Mixture will be very soft)

Place mixture in a plastic bag and seal tightly. Let rest at room temperature for 8 hours or overnight. Knead in remaining sugar into gum paste when you are ready to use it. As you work in the sugar, the gum paste will whiten and become softer. Keep it covered to prevent it from drying out, you can add a little vegetable shortening to keep it soft and pliable.

My question is: I will NOT use all of my gum paste at once.. I'll use small amounts over time..does this mean not to mix any of the remaining cup in until I'm about to use it?

msulli10 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:03pm
post #7 of 13

For those flowers, since they are not delicate, you can use fondant/gumpaste mix or straight fondant. You can make them ahead of time. To me, it looks like the ones on top of the cake are floral wire wrapped with floral tape. You could probably use thin cookie sticks as well. I would use melted chocolate to glue the flowers on.
You may not want to make the flowers that are on the cake in advance because you may need them to mold to the cake.

andyneal331 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:10pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

For those flowers, since they are not delicate, you can use fondant/gumpaste mix or straight fondant. You can make them ahead of time. To me, it looks like the ones on top of the cake are floral wire wrapped with floral tape. You could probably use thin cookie sticks as well. I would use melted chocolate to glue the flowers on.
You may not want to make the flowers that are on the cake in advance because you may need them to mold to the cake.

Ok, so it's safe to make the ones for on top, but wait on the ones for the cake.. that does make more sense than doing them this early.. I don't want them to be hard as a rock for the people to eat! I'm definitely going to have to use lollipop sticks and use my color gel to color them green.. would I still attach them using melted chocolate?? I'm new at all of this.. When you say melted chocolate.. would that be the Baker's chocolate squares??

msulli10 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:21am
post #9 of 13

I use the wafer chocolate that you can buy in Michaels or AC Moore. It's inexpensive and they come in all sorts of colors. You can melt them in the microwave in 30 second intervals. Stir after every 30 seconds. When they are almost entirely melted, stop microwaving and keep stirring until they melt. Let them cool a bit and then apply them to whatever you want. The chocolate sets up within a couple of seconds - just hold it in place until you feel that it is firm. In a pinch, you can use chocolate chips.

andyneal331 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:48am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by msulli10

I use the wafer chocolate that you can buy in Michaels or AC Moore. It's inexpensive and they come in all sorts of colors. You can melt them in the microwave in 30 second intervals. Stir after every 30 seconds. When they are almost entirely melted, stop microwaving and keep stirring until they melt. Let them cool a bit and then apply them to whatever you want. The chocolate sets up within a couple of seconds - just hold it in place until you feel that it is firm. In a pinch, you can use chocolate chips.

Ok great! Candy Melts is what they are called here in our stores... I'll definitely get some of those.

Now the most needed question still hasn't been answered for me:

I made my own Gum Paste, so I got the recipe from the Wilton Gum-Tex container... here is the recipe and instructions:

1 TBS gum-tex
4 cups sifted powder sugar
1 heaping TBS glucose
4 TBS warm water

In large bowl, combine Gum-tex with 3 cups of confectioners sugar. Make a well in the center and set aside. Combine water and glucose in a glass measuring cup. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds until mixture is clear. Pour into well of sugar and mix until well blended. (Mixture will be very soft)

Place mixture in a plastic bag and seal tightly. Let rest at room temperature for 8 hours or overnight. Knead in remaining sugar into gum paste when you are ready to use it. As you work in the sugar, the gum paste will whiten and become softer. Keep it covered to prevent it from drying out, you can add a little vegetable shortening to keep it soft and pliable.

My question is: I will NOT use all of my gum paste at once.. I'll use small amounts over time..does this mean not to mix any of the remaining cup in until I'm about to use it?

brincess_b Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 8:22am
post #11 of 13

the ones on the side, you should do early if you want the same look, looks like they have dried in a former. if you do them at the time, they will need to lie flat on the cake.

id be tempted to save ur self the work, and just use straight fondant, if you make them now they will be dry enough to hold their shape, and still perfectly edible. fondant takes a long time to dry through.

i would make the whole gumpaste up properly (or make a smaller batch) - as long as its well wrapped in a sealed box, it should keep fine for ages.
xx

mireillea Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:06am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyneal331

I will NOT use all of my gum paste at once.. I'll use small amounts over time..does this mean not to mix any of the remaining cup in until I'm about to use it?

You have to down size the recipe if you are only going to use a small amount. You can put any remainders in the fridge. It will extend the life span. However, I don't understand why you would want to use gumpaste and in particular the one made from gum tex. That stuff is pliable like stainless steel (NOT) and will become rock hard. Not something you would like to feast your teeth on.
The flowers you want to make are pretty simple. I would go for marzipan for the flowers stuck to the tiers. Marzipan stays soft but can be molded into a form at the same time. It has a good taste too. To most people it tastes better than fondant.

And then, for the flowers on top, I would use regular fondant. Make the flowers some three to four days in advance (you can add a little tylose to the fondant to make it a bit stronger). Stick the lollipops in them if the fondant is still soft and let it dry to a firm consistency. The flowers will be firm enough to stand up straight, but if you take a bite, the inside will still be a little soft.
This way, it is easier to make and it will have a much better taste.
Believe me, nobody enjoys eating gumpaste flowers. Especially not if the are made from Wilton's gum tex!

andyneal331 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:31am
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mireillea

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyneal331

I will NOT use all of my gum paste at once.. I'll use small amounts over time..does this mean not to mix any of the remaining cup in until I'm about to use it?

You have to down size the recipe if you are only going to use a small amount. You can put any remainders in the fridge. It will extend the life span. However, I don't understand why you would want to use gumpaste and in particular the one made from gum tex. That stuff is pliable like stainless steel (NOT) and will become rock hard. Not something you would like to feast your teeth on.
The flowers you want to make are pretty simple. I would go for marzipan for the flowers stuck to the tiers. Marzipan stays soft but can be molded into a form at the same time. It has a good taste too. To most people it tastes better than fondant.

And then, for the flowers on top, I would use regular fondant. Make the flowers some three to four days in advance (you can add a little tylose to the fondant to make it a bit stronger). Stick the lollipops in them if the fondant is still soft and let it dry to a firm consistency. The flowers will be firm enough to stand up straight, but if you take a bite, the inside will still be a little soft.
This way, it is easier to make and it will have a much better taste.
Believe me, nobody enjoys eating gumpaste flowers. Especially not if the are made from Wilton's gum tex!

As I stated, I'm new at all of this and have asked several questions about whats best, but never got an answer. So I had to go ahead and make something! I'm not that worried about the ones I've already made because they are going on top of the cake and sticking out anyways so they won't be eaten... I planned on putting them on lollipop sticks, but if anyone has a better suggestion please let me know ASAP!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%