I Saw Today...duff Fondant??

Decorating By jovigirl Updated 27 May 2010 , 1:26pm by lscain1

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:58pm
post #31 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

This makes me chuckle. This is what's commonly known as free enterprise. It's what corporate America does - finds ways to sell their products. It's kinda' what the U.S. economic system is founded on.

Yes, I KNOW---I learned that in Econ 101 35 years ago.............

My point is that SI could have gotten their colored fondant on the shelves years ago, fared well in competition with Wilton, and made plenty of money without having to pay ridiculous royalties to someone, who less than 2 years ago, didn't even KNOW that fondant came in colors icon_eek.gif

Rae

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:29am
post #32 of 42

I totally support the $10 a pound pricing. They just raised the perceived value our fondant cakes. icon_biggrin.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:15am
post #33 of 42

Curious how Virgin ice tastes...just saw it a Bulk Barn today. Years ago I bought some fondant from a bulk store and it tasted like anise. Luckily I was making a licorice all-sort cake so it turned out well.

I was shocked when I saw that $30 price tag on Duff's fondant. Crazy!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:07pm
post #34 of 42

I buy 20 lb buckets of Satin Ice for $60 (including shipping). They are seriously going to try to get people to buy 4 lbs for $60?

I mean obviously it will be a little better with a coupon - but what a rip off.

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 10:17pm
post #35 of 42
Quote:
Quote:

Curious how Virgin ice tastes...just saw it a Bulk Barn today.

I tried it on Saturday and it was comparable to what I have made at home with none of the hassle, time and effort.

I started making my own fondant after I purchased one pkg of Wilton and thought there is no way I would feed that to my dog(and he loves fondant) never mind people. I am now going to try the Virgin Ice and see what some of my friends and family think of it. Sure would save me a ton of time.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:05pm
post #36 of 42
Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:19pm
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessDesserts

Duffs fondant is , it actually says it right on the container.

I was at the Baking Expo last weekend in Atlantic City and the rep at the booth told me and then showed me where its written right on the container.

Cool! I was at the same Expo! lol icon_biggrin.gif

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:57pm
post #38 of 42

I feel the same way as BlakesCakes. I consider that a little greedy on Duff's part, considering (as many have pointed out) he didn't know he could purchased colored fondant until not-that-long-ago.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:06am
post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahrah

I feel the same way as BlakesCakes. I consider that a little greedy on Duff's part, considering (as many have pointed out) he didn't know he could purchased colored fondant until not-that-long-ago.

Oh, come on. Any one of us would accept that kind of opportunity, laugh all the way to the bank and never look back. There's nothing wrong with making money.

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:09am
post #40 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I buy 20 lb buckets of for $60 (including shipping). They are seriously going to try to get people to buy 4 lbs for $60?

I mean obviously it will be a little better with a coupon - but what a rip off.

Who do you get 20 lbs. of fondant from for $60 with shipping? I just bought 20 lbs. from Global Sugar Art and had to spend $77. Maybe it depends on where they have to ship it. But if I can get it cheaper elsewhere, I'd like to know where to look.

cakegirlkc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirlkc Posted 3 May 2010 , 3:55am
post #41 of 42

I bought some today- Lemon Flavored Yello Fondant! $19 for 2 lbs- used a 40% coupon. Can't wait to taste it!

lscain1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lscain1 Posted 27 May 2010 , 1:26pm
post #42 of 42

I don't see how it can be Satin Ice. I think Satin Ice is disgusting! I bought some of the Duff and it smells and tastes heavenly! I haven't used it yet, but if it is made by Satin Ice it definitely isn't the same recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%