I Saw Today...duff Fondant??

Decorating By jovigirl Updated 27 May 2010 , 1:26pm by lscain1

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 42

While I was shopping at Michaels today, tubs of Duffs BC fondant...
I wasn't aware he had a line icon_redface.gif
Has anyone try his fondant? I just received my funky tappits today & bought GP for it as suggested by others however I wonder if Duffs fondant would work instead as it already comes colored in red... I will be doing a strawberry shortcake cake & was going to make red gp letters, but as we know how difficult it can be sometimes to make the color red, I thought I'd try Duffs fondant...
It's a little pricy, but I have a coupon for 50% off....
If anyone has tried it pls let me know your thoughts ;o)

TIA thumbs_up.gif

41 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 42

Weird! I had no idea that he had his own fondant line either. I would love to know if it's any good.

How much was it? And how many lbs of fondant?

Thanks!

jovigirl Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 42

$30 for a 2lbs... I'm going to get it today as the coupon is only good for today, will post a review once I try it...

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 8:42pm
post #4 of 42

I heard it's Satin Ice with his face on it.

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 42
CbyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CbyA Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 42

$30 for 2 lbs??????????????? wowwwwwwwwwwwww

retaunton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
retaunton Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 9:02pm
post #7 of 42

I thought he had partnered with the company/people that make Fondarific fondant.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 9:20pm
post #8 of 42

They have a bunch of artist type things like drawing pads and things and he also has premade "kits" to make some of the cakes he's known for. There is a place online that you can buy some of his line. If I type it out it will be blocked so just put craft after sugar and you can see it all.

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by CbyA

Agreed! I can make 4 pounds of MMF for less than $7.00. Wow, that's some expensive stuff. I've only see Choco-Pan that expensive.

Ivy383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ivy383 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 9:30pm
post #10 of 42

I just found out he had a line of products last week at the Bakers Expo in NJ. I have never tasted his fondant, but the colors are nice. I got to play around with his gel coloring kit it's great. The color black works really nice on fondant. icon_smile.gif

kizrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kizrash Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by tootie0809

Quote:
Originally Posted by CbyA

Agreed! I can make 4 pounds of MMF for less than $7.00. Wow, that's some expensive stuff. I've only see Choco-Pan that expensive.

I've just had a look on the website and copied and pasted this:- DUFF GOLDMAN 2 LB PAIL FONDANT $9.00 each. HTH ; icon_confused.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:06pm
post #12 of 42

I sat with Julie Bashore at a dinner last weekend. She's affiliated with Satin Fine Foods, makers of Satin Ice. She told me that Duff's Fondant is denfinitely made by Satin Ice.

I use SI, but I told her I was really disappointed that SI got in bed with Duff and then went on to market a product at such an exhorbitant price.

My opinion won't matter, but that's how I feel. The only good thing to come out of it is that apparently if I need colored fondant in a hurry---and I have a Michael's coupon--I can run out and get some quick!

Rae

jovigirl Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:29pm
post #13 of 42

I too normally make my own MMF however for the amount I need, I just bought it as it's really hard for me to make red icon_cry.gif
Let's see how it works, I only use fondant for decorations I normally cover my cakes with BC...

luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvscakes Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:58pm
post #14 of 42

yipes! that is expensive! I buy mine at $30/10lbs and I think that is bad!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:50am
post #15 of 42

That's a high price, but making red and black is a pain in the butt, so it's probably worth it for those two colors. Others, not so much.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:12am
post #16 of 42

What a HOOT! I remember watching one of his first shows when he was shocked to learn colored fondant was available! He was mad because they had been doing all the different colors manually themselves! Now he has his name on the stuff!

bridge72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bridge72 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 4:32am
post #17 of 42

We've had it here at Michael's for a couple of months now. I bought the black, haven't used if yet. I did break the seal and take a whiff, smells like buttered popcorn to me icon_surprised.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 5:05am
post #18 of 42

Yes it is Satin Ice brand, I bought some because Decopac is selling it and that's who I get my white fondant from. I'm sure the price the OP saw is because of the International shipping charges to get it to Canada where she is located. Decopac is selling the 2# buckets for $10 or $26 for all three colors (#2 of each) and they have flat rate shipping. More expensive than SI white, but waaay less than shipping the colored SI real FedEx rate allll the way from SI in NY (to AK).

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 5:06am
post #19 of 42

Duffs fondant is Satin Ice, it actually says it right on the container.

I was at the Baking Expo last weekend in Atlantic City and the rep at the booth told me and then showed me where its written right on the container.

jovigirl Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:16pm
post #20 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessDesserts

Duffs fondant is , it actually says it right on the container.

I was at the Baking Expo last weekend in Atlantic City and the rep at the booth told me and then showed me where its written right on the container.

I'm looking at the container I bought yesterday & nowhere does it satin ice...

HauteCoutureCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HauteCoutureCookies Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:45pm
post #21 of 42

Has anyone tasted it yet? I'm curious to know now that bridge72 says it smelled like buttered popcorn. And if' it's still Satin Ice but with his name on it uh, why do I have to pay more? I may as well buy the red and black Satin Ice without his name...

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:58pm
post #22 of 42

The $30 price tag is for Canadian Michaels stores. Probably cheaper in the US (everything usually is icon_sad.gif )

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 4:49pm
post #23 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

I sat with Julie Bashore at a dinner last weekend. She's affiliated with Satin Fine Foods, makers of . She told me that Duff's Fondant is denfinitely made by .

I use SI, but I told her I was really disappointed that SI got in bed with Duff and then went on to market a product at such an exhorbitant price.

My opinion won't matter, but that's how I feel. The only good thing to come out of it is that apparently if I need colored fondant in a hurry---and I have a Michael's coupon--I can run out and get some quick!

Rae

This makes me chuckle. This is what's commonly known as free enterprise. It's what corporate America does - finds ways to sell their products. It's kinda' what the U.S. economic system is founded on.

I don't think there's a thing in the world wrong with a company using a celebrity to sell its products. It's used extensively with sporting goods, and every chef I know has a product line. I don't tend to respond positively to that type of marketing. It's pretty obvious that the items are more expensive because so many consumers seem to be influenced by celebrities they like, or they like the status of using a celebrity product.

A concept I learned as a kid is "Buyer Beware". You don't hear that expression much anymore because consumers seem to think that if they make a stupid purchase they're suddenly a victim and it's someone else's fault, but they are words I live by.

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 5:37pm
post #24 of 42

To the Ontario group, Virgin Ice now sells their fondant in Black and Red and much cheaper too. I found 4lb pails in Cambridge for about $18. They were nice enough to allow me to taste it before I purchased and the black is very nice.

jovigirl Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 6:19pm
post #25 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by MACakes

To the Ontario group, Virgin Ice now sells their fondant in Black and Red and much cheaper too. I found 4lb pails in Cambridge for about $18. They were nice enough to allow me to taste it before I purchased and the black is very nice.

Do they have any other locations? Cambridge is quite far for me icon_cry.gif

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 7:07pm
post #26 of 42

Yes..I saw his line in my Michael's last week and it is priced at $30.00 for 2lbs CAD...Sorry but at that price ..I will pass.I can get a 5 kg pail of Cotton Candy smelling white Deccorice from Dawn foods for $22.00...Yeah I have to color it myself but for that price it is worth it!

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 7:27pm
post #27 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovigirl

Quote:

If you have a bulk barn near you they may sell the virgin ice. I know I have bought some there but not for a long time.

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 8:08pm
post #28 of 42

Bulk barn does sell Virgin Ice but I have not seen the black and red yet. Maybe if we all hound them, they will bring it in. I've heard it is relatively new.

jovigirl Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:21pm
post #29 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiemama2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovigirl

Quote:

If you have a bulk barn near you they may sell the virgin ice. I know I have bought some there but not for a long time.

Goodie goodie gumdrops I have a few of them close to me. I will have to check it out... Thank you ;o)

langranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
langranny Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:34pm
post #30 of 42

I'm in the Kansas City area and saw it at Michael's today. It was $19.99 for two pounds. Might consider buying the black or red if I need it and have a 50% off coupon. Otherwise, it's MMF for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%