Fondant Stars On Buttercream

Baking By cardicard Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 4:24pm by TexasSugar

cardicard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cardicard Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:18pm
post #1 of 8

I have made some cup cakes for my grandaughter and piped buttercream swirls on top then placed fondant stars in an upright position on top.
I made these in the evening and in the morning the stars had dropped flat.
Do you have to use cmc in the fondant, or have you any idea why they did not stay upright?
Any advice would be really appriciated.
Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 8

It seems to me as if they were not dry enough. What I do is I add tylose to my fondant and then cut out my desired shape, let dry for hours or maybe even overnight to get nice and hard. I only do this for decorations that are going to be standing up...not for ones that I only apply flat to the cake. You can also use gumpaste for these types of decorations. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 8

You might also want to wait until the last minute to put the decorations on top of the buttercream.

It has been my experience that buttercream tends to soften fondant and candy clay after a while. Maybe it's the moisture or oil, not sure.

HTH

Kim

Kims_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kims_cakes Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 8

I also mix a little tylose in the fondant and dry overnight. It wouldn't be a bad idea to put in the stars at the last minute either. hth.

arbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arbakes Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 8

I've had the same problem. I found that if you let them dry for a while before putting them on, it helps. Also, if you have to assemble them beforehand, make sure you do not store it in a covered container. I've done this and the fondant turns to mush...let it breath a little. Hope that makes sense!

cardicard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cardicard Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 8

I will take all of your advice, use cmc and also I agree putting the decoration on as late as possible when I need them to stand is a good idea. I did put them in an air tight container. So I will try a box next time.
Thank you very much for the advice, icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 8:11pm
post #7 of 8

If my mmf is a bit on the moist side I use nothing at all and they stay, if its more stiff like I used tylose in it for a decoration then I wet with water lightly using a tiny paint brush

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:24pm
post #8 of 8

What did you store the cupcakes in during the night?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%