Best Type Of Cake For Carving

Baking By brandibaker Updated 27 Mar 2010 , 6:52pm by mamawrobin

brandibaker Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 5:46pm
post #1 of 5

Hi- I am making a guitar cake and I just wanted to know what kind of cake is the best for carving. Thanks!

Also- I posted about my buttercream having bubbles..I tried the suggestions and indydebby's recipe and it still happens =( so any more advise on that????
Brandi

4 replies
LuvLyrics Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 5

I got the DVD from sugarshack, and she recommends that you feel the mixing bowl to the max to avoid all the air going into the bowl. I've hard the air also it's do to over whipping, but I cream mine for a longer time than other people. HTH..

About the cakes...I would like to know too.

brandibaker Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 5

I did fill my mixer to the max...it still happened I think it is just me! although it did not used to happen before and I can't imagine what I am doing different! Maybe it is the weather here.....
thanks! =)

brincess_b Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 5

If it's just like cutting a small sheet cake to shape, to lie flat, ur regular recipe will probably be fine, as long as it's nit too crummy when cut. for that sort of thing, I'd just used victoria sponge, but possibly a maderia sponge. If it's more complex, I'd use pound cake, or possibly maderia.

As for ur icing, what else did u try? If u didn't used to have the problem, it suggests something bout the ingrediant u use has changed.
xx

mamawrobin Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 5

I add one box of instant pudding mix and an extra egg to my cake if I'm doing a carved cake.

If I get air bubbles in my buttercream I take a wide spatula and press the icing up against the bowl until I work them out. Hope that makes sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%