I Have A Question About Smoothing Bc

Decorating By JaeRodriguez Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 1:13am by JaeRodriguez

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 4

I used the bench scraper/hot spatula method and then after that I used the melvira roller method! While it made the cake completely bubble free and ultra smooth, We still had "lumps" I guess you would call them in our BC and we couldn't get clean edges (which I never am able to get) but the lumps are the more annoying part because I have NO clue why it did that! Did we leave too much BC on the cake? I was trying not to mess with my crumb coat! I just dont know how else to smooth the cake, I almost got frustrated and covered it with fondant! Any clues? Sorry if I'm not explaining very well I'm adding a picture so that maybe you can see what I'm talking about!
LL

3 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 4

HI.... that's your crumb coat... and the settleling (sp?) of the cake... you have to tort and fill... then look at leah's newest trick to see how to rid your cake of air pockets between layers.... because you have the buldge when you do the melvira method... the rollers cannot get the whole side of the cake to smooth... how long is your roller? 6 in.?
hth

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 4

I think the one thing that my self-taught self has learned about cake decorating is not to fear the buttercream. That is, once the crumb coat is on and crusted I get 'down and dirty' and press harder than you think you should to evenly coat the cake. Besides an offset spatula I use a 5 inch plastic squeegie I got at Walmart to go around the sides after applying the buttercream and I keep at it until it's smooth. Continually wipe your blade surface so it doesn't build up. I assume you're using a turntable? If not, you don't have to buy an expensive one...heck I use the kind you put in cabinets like a lazy susan. Cheap...but it works! I eventually want to get a real turntable, but for now this works. Anyway, this is how I do it. I'm learning all the time so I'm sure there are others that can tell you better. However I think the fear factor was the thing that I had to get over. That and the fact that I would let the cake cool in the refrigerator after each layer of frosting so it wouldn't get too warm and pull up the cake.

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:13am
post #4 of 4

Thank you guys for the replies, I didn't even think that they might be air bubbles from not allowing the cake to settle but we sure didn't let it settle! and carmijok I think that your not to fear the buttercream comment is my new favorite quote, because I am so scared of that stuff! icon_razz.gif My paint roller is a 5 inch and I was using a bench scraper but I think I was being to soft and maybe left too much BC on, it's hard to tell because we haven't cut the cake yet to eat it. I was using a turn table but that was my first time using one so maybe I was getting used to it... idk buttercream is frustrating but I'm not gonna give up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%