Refrigerate Preserves & Wilton B/c - Yes/no??

Decorating By slsharratt Updated 27 Mar 2010 , 1:47pm by slsharratt

slsharratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slsharratt Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 5

i added seedless raspberry jam to my wilton buttercream icing for filling and under the fondant for a cake last week. it tasted fantastic and was a great pink color.

i want to use this combination again for a cake this week, but i'm not using the fondant. will the jam breakdown the buttercream? will i need to keep it in the fridge?

anyone have any experience with this?

4 replies
rockytop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockytop Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 5

I have never used raspberry jam. I have used crushed pineapple in my bc and it was still good after 2 weeks. I would keep it in the fridge till you are ready to use it. You may also want to put the cake in the fridge if you are not ready to eat it once you are done with the cake.

HTH
Roger

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 5

You'll want to be sure to use a good stiff dam before filling. The preserves will make the buttercream softer. I've added preserves to my fudge buttercream and it was really good!

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:46pm
post #4 of 5

I do this all the time -- I call it "raspberry cream" and it's my most popular filling. It's really good in IMBC -- nice creamy, almost mousse like texture. Never had a problem with it. I dam my edges just so the color doen't bleed through.

slsharratt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slsharratt Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:47pm
post #5 of 5

i want to use the jam/buttercream combo for the frosting as well as the filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%