Foamboard

Decorating By Lorabell Updated 27 Mar 2010 , 2:40pm by love2makecakes

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 12:15pm
post #1 of 7

Hey guys,

Is foamboard that you buy at a craft store, safe for a cake?

Thanks,
Lori

6 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 12:36pm
post #2 of 7

I use it all the time. My cake is always on a cardboard round so I just adhere my cakes to the foamboard with a little buttercream.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 7

ditto... I always buy them specially when on sale buy 1 get 1 free... and I cut them and wrap them in foil... hth

chyana66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chyana66 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 7

Oh ya, that's all I use these days. You never have to worry about having a certain size board since you can cut to whatever size - and shape - you desire. I cover mine with clear cupboard liner - sometimes called "mac-tac" or contact paper. I get mine at Michaels....the boards that is icon_smile.gif

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 7

You need to cover with something. The material will begin to break down if moisture gets to it.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:19pm
post #6 of 7

I use the nice thick ones you can get from Hobby Lobby, and cover them with freezer paper. Never have to worry about the strengh of the board.

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:40pm
post #7 of 7

I use foamcore too for boards I want to cut into fun shapes and such. I always cover them though with foodsafe materials. I personally do not put my cakes directly onto the foamcore and even with food safe materials make cakes are always on cake boards. If you cover it with contact paper you will also want to put it on a cake round so your cake is not in direct contact with the non foodsafe material. There are a lot of posts on here with this subject, if you do some searching you will find a lot of different views on the foodsafe issue of formcore.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%