What Should I Do About A Cake Stand For A Wedding?

Decorating By Lyndseyb52 Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 11:37am by peg818

Lyndseyb52 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 10:40am
post #1 of 8

Hi

I've only made 2 wedding cakes and both times the venue has provided the couple with a fancy cake stand.

In August I have 2 wedding cakes to make, for both I'll need to arrange to get a stand from somewhere and both are quite far away.

Should I make the brides sort their stand out so they pay the deposit and are responsible for it's return to avoid late charges or is that my job? I'm scared that left overnight it could go missing and I'd lose my deposit. (plus it's alot of extra driving).

What would you do?

Lyndsey xx

7 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:02am
post #2 of 8

Around here, the bride pays a security deposit for the stand and when she (or anyone else) returns it in the time allotted, they get their deposit back. The bride is responsible for the return, you are not responsible for picking it up.
Another idea is to just use a nice board covered in fondant with a ribbon around it that can just be thrown away when the cake is done.

peg818 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:52am
post #3 of 8

I would say that if you are looking to rent a cake stand, i would have the bride get it, or offer to just place the cake on a disposable board that she wouldn't have to worry about returning.

leah_s Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 12:00pm
post #4 of 8

The bride definitely gets the cake stand and takes it to the venue. Unless you are in the rental business. I am not. The bride also contracts with a florist for any flowers that are to be used on the cake. Unless you are also a florist. I am not.

tarheelgirl Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 12:12pm
post #5 of 8

I have one 14" plateau that brides can use. They pay a deposit and it must be returned on the Monday after the wedding. Once returned they get their deposit back. Otherwise, the bride is responsible for renting a stand and getting it to me.

KHalstead Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 8

I give my brides a disposable cake plate made of foam core covered with decorative paper and ribbon around the edge, if they want something fancier...it's their responsibility to get it and have it waiting at the cake table for me!

I have had too many LITTLE things never get returned.....no way I'm lening someone a $200 stand!

Lyndseyb52 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:32am
post #7 of 8

Thanks everyone, I was hoping you'd say that !

I was worried it would make me look unprofessional (not that I am professsional) if I couldn't arrange a cake stand to finish the job off off but I'm so glad I don't have to worry about that now.

Lyndsey xx

peg818 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:37am
post #8 of 8

If you can tell her where to rent a stand, i would certainly tell her where to find it, but it would be up to her to rent it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%