Cannoli Cake

Baking By nastassia Updated 31 Mar 2010 , 5:30am by nastassia

nastassia Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 7:03am
post #1 of 11

yum, so I tasted my first cannoli today icon_smile.gif so is there a recipe anyone has that tastes like one? I loved that so much, I was thinking this would be soo good if the filling had actual cannoli pieces in it with cream lol but boy would that be pricey! any suggestions? icon_smile.gif

10 replies
prterrell Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 7:25am
post #2 of 11

The Cassata Siciliana contains a cannoli cream filling and for this reason, it is sometimes called a "cannoli cake" in the US.

However, there are several versions of cannoli-inspired cakes, most of which hearken back to the original Cassata in some way.

Here is one highly rated recipe from Epicurious:

Note: Publix sells a "Cassata Torte" in their bakery. However, this is not a true Cassata and can more accurately be described as a cannoli cake.

nastassia Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:52am
post #3 of 11

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

btw, whats publix?

and yeah that did help icon_smile.gif I'm gonna try epicurious's recipe icon_smile.gif

nastassia Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:02am
post #4 of 11

ok, one question, it says almond liquor, which do I use? says 'divided'? how do I do that?....

prterrell Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 6:24am
post #5 of 11

Publix is a grocery store chain in the SE US.

Amaretto is one kind of almond liqueur.

If you read the instructions, you use 3 tbsp of the liqueur to brush on the cake directly, and the remaining 2 tbsp in the filling. When a list of ingredients in a recipe has "divided" after it, it is to let you know that you will not be using all of this at once, so that you know to pay special attention to how much to use when in the instructions.

FullHouse Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:12pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks for the recipe link!!!

nastassia Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 11

ok thanks icon_smile.gif lol for some reason I was thinking 'divided' meant u cook it so it takes the alcohol out?

omg I'm such a rookie here icon_smile.gif I'm gonna try making this cake prob this weekend. Can't wait icon_smile.gif

Thank you icon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:49am
post #8 of 11

LOL, no problem! That's why CC is here, to help each other! icon_biggrin.gif

jerseygirlNga Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 11

Don't know where in the country you are...but I'm currently in GA by way of NJ. THere is a bakery in NJ that developed and sells a Cannoli Cake that is absolutely incredible. I have never asked, but they may be willing to share. The bakery is called Calandra's in Newark. It never hurts to ask all they can say is "NO." Now if you want a cannoli recipe...I'm a little Italian girl and I am willing to share...please keep in mind, I learned this by not measuring.

I take a container of whole milk ricotta (allow to drain) add about 2-3T of marscapone cheese, add about 1/4C confectioners sugar, I slowly add Amaretto de Sorono ( to achieve the taste I like) or a touch of clear vanilla. I no longer make my own cannoli shells (too much work, so little time) so I buy the premade ones and fill. Onced filled, I chop up some pistachios and dip the ends or I dip the ends in chocolate before filling. I set on table and jump back to avoid the stampede. Mine may not be the taste you are looking for but it may give you some idea. My mom would mince up citron but my kids used to spit it got rid of it.

Misdawn Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:36pm
post #10 of 11

If I remember correctly there is a recipe for Cannoli Cake in the Cake Mix Doctor book. Never made it though. It would be interesting to see how well it tastes.

nastassia Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:30am
post #11 of 11

wow thanks you guys,

and that cake mix doctor book sounds interesting icon_smile.gif something I should look into..

Quote by @%username% on %date%