Fondant Cake

Decorating By mommynana Updated 27 Mar 2010 , 9:26pm by Ivy383

mommynana Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:29am
post #1 of 12

someone please help, i`m goimg nuts, i want to try this mickey mouse cake with fondant, for my granddaughter and i`m so scared how long can i make a fondant cake before the party? and dose it have to go in the fridg. and dose anyone have any tips, pleeeeessss, am i crazy trying a mickey mouse three layer cake, my kids tell me i`m very persistence

11 replies
prterrell Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:30am
post #2 of 12

When is the party? It will be good for several days as the fondant seals in the moisture in the cake. It does not need to be refrigerated unless you used a perishable filling.

mommynana Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:34am
post #3 of 12

the party is the first week in may and i don`t know if i shoud try a one layer cake first or just go for the big one

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:46am
post #4 of 12

Try to give yourself enough time and do everything in steps so you don't get too overwhelmed. Depending on what fondant decorations you're using, you could make them ahead of time. Plan a few days ahead to make the cake, give it time to settle (overnight), crumb coat, frost, and then cover in fondant. After it's covered, add your decorations and finishing touches. Your cake will remain fresh even if it's done a few days before the party.

Try looking on youtube for tutorials and helpful videos. Monkeysee has great step-by-step cake decorating videos.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:50am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

the party is the first week in may and i don`t know if i shoud try a one layer cake first or just go for the big one

Since you still have time, why don't you make a practice cake and see how comfortable you feel with it? That way you can decide if you want to go with the bigger cake for the party.

robyndmy Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:52am
post #6 of 12

This sticky in the CC forums has almost everything you need to know about making a cake, it's fantastic!
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654103.html

As for the fondant itself, I've made MMF a week ahead of time, and it could easily be even earlier than that! I put a layer of Crisco around the kneaded ball of fondant, wrap it in saran wrap, put it in a ziploc bag and then just toss it in the cupboard until I need it.

But definitely try to break the whole cake process into at least two or three days, it will help save your sanity! icon_biggrin.gif

mommynana Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:15am
post #7 of 12

thank you all so much, are those smoothers for the fondant really work that good i watched a video and they make it look so easy.and i did`t know that the kind of cake pans were that important.i meam i bake and all but i never though about the pans really. i guess i`m famous only for my cream puffs people say their to die for

mommynana Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:45am
post #8 of 12

thanks for that info on momkeysee, it was very helpfull thumbs_up.gif

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 10:27am
post #9 of 12

The smoothers work very well, I use them every time i'm making a fondant covered cake. Most decorators recommend using two, but I've only bought 1 so far and it still works well (if you just use your hand, there will be bumps from your fingers). Wilton makes great pans in almost any shape and size. If there's a michaels or JoAnns in your area I would get some coupons and go there first, you'll be able to find everything you need icon_smile.gif

(And if you're going to buy pre-made fondant, do NOT get the wilton brand thumbsdown.gif ).

mommynana Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 8:58pm
post #10 of 12

thanks for the info, i watched a video, on line that showed that you can use a piece of fondant rolled into a ball then flaten the top and use that as a smoother

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 9:08pm
post #11 of 12

That is another way you can smooth fondant. Whatever works for you icon_smile.gif

Ivy383 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 9:26pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommynana

thanks for the info, i watched a video, on line that showed that you can use a piece of fondant rolled into a ball then flaten the top and use that as a smoother

Cool icon_smile.gif I never heard of that before.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%