Question About Imbc

Baking By Cara425 Updated 27 Mar 2010 , 2:41pm by Cara425

Cara425 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 11:56pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All icon_smile.gif

I used the IMBC recipe off of here for the first time a few weeks ago and I fell in love with it. It's a bit more labor intensive, but the end result is to die for!

Anywho, I needed the recipe for two different projects at two different points of the week. I finished the first one, and refridgerated the leftovers for the second project a few days later.

When I took it out of the refridgerator, it barely came back to room temp after two hours of sitting on the counter and when it started too, it looked like it had beads of sweat coming off of it ( I assume from the sugar syrup). To avoid a total crisis, I tried adding powdered sugar to bind it back together, but it didn't work.

I'm learning by trial and error here, but for future reference, is refrigerating IMBC a big no-no? LOL

My second project turned out to be a dissapointment for me. It was for a co-workers birthday and I felt awful having to give her cupcakes that were sweating!

5 replies
anotherslice Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 12:40am
post #2 of 6

It is fine to refrigerate IMBC up to a week. It needs to be airtight in a container because it picks up odors in the fridge easily. To be truly delicious it needs to be at room temp when it's eaten.

If you need to keep IMBC for longer than a week, it can be frozen up to a month. IMBC can take hours to get to room temp after being in the fridge. For a good sized amount of several cups, I take it out in the morning, put it on the counter, and when I get home from work it's ready. But not quite yet!

At this point, when it's at room temp or nearly room temp (68 to 72 F), it always needs to be mixed at a low speed in the KitchenAid. Always. I never have to add anything to it, ever, except maybe more vanilla extract. If it's too cold when you mix it, it can look like it's ruined, because the liquid will start separating out, but if you're patient and let it keep mixing, it can certainly be saved. Good luck with it in the future!

anotherslice Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 12:40am
post #3 of 6

It is fine to refrigerate IMBC up to a week. It needs to be airtight in a container because it picks up odors in the fridge easily. To be truly delicious it needs to be at room temp when it's eaten.

If you need to keep IMBC for longer than a week, it can be frozen up to a month. IMBC can take hours to get to room temp after being in the fridge. For a good sized amount of several cups, I take it out in the morning, put it on the counter, and when I get home from work it's ready. But not quite yet!

At this point, when it's at room temp or nearly room temp (68 to 72 F), it always needs to be mixed at a low speed in the KitchenAid. Always. I never have to add anything to it, ever, except maybe more vanilla extract. If it's too cold when you mix it, it can look like it's ruined, because the liquid will start separating out, but if you're patient and let it keep mixing, it can certainly be saved. Good luck with it in the future!

Cara425 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:18am
post #4 of 6

Thanks so much for the advice, I really appreciate it! I was a bit impatient for sure, lol. I forgot to take it out before I left for work, and also forgot to call mom to take it out before she left for work! I did whip it at a higher speed because I thought it would make it smoother and more workable faster. See, ya learn new things every day!

ceshell Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:04am
post #5 of 6

Yep, ya just gotta be patient with that stuff. I have had IMBC so completely separated, you would have bet money on the fact that it needed to be thrown away. All I did was keep warming the bowl with my hands (run under a hot faucet) and kept beating and beating until that magic moment arrived icon_biggrin.gif. Or else the converse happens when it's too warm and simply won't come together - you need to pop the bowl into the fridge (or even freezer) for 10-15 min to chill it. Sometimes it chills too far and then I have to warm it up...I feel like I am on a rollercoaster ride! LOL. But I have never had to throw out a batch - one way or another you CAN always save it. Yay IMBC!!

Cara425 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 6

That's great news! I'm so glad to know that it can be re-worked, I was a complete wreck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%