Toilet Tissue And Grandson's First Birthday

Decorating By Echooo3 Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 9:29pm by Texas_Rose

Echooo3 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 10

My grandson will be turning one on April 10th (first boy in the family in 100 years).

A few weeks ago, my daughter had purchased a 12 pack of toilet tissue, put it down and went into another room to do something and came out and he had opened it and unrolled them and was sitting in a pile of tissue.

Soooo, I would like to re-create that scene for his first birthday cake. Please can I have some suggestions on how to do the toilet tissue? Making the figurine alone will be a challenge but I want to have that image of him sitting in a pile of tissue looking up with his big blue eyes like he was saying "it wasn't me".

Thanks all.

9 replies
farmersdaughter4 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 10

I would roll either fondant or gumpaste super thin...then using a ruler, cut long strips into the size required. I would then use the impression roller and roll lines horizontal to give impression of "toilet paper" separation lines. Use the small tip of either a #1 or #5 and gently press circles randomly to give the "tissue paper" some texture. Before the fondant or gumpaste dries I would stack and drape the toilet paper around the baby figure. I would make the baby first and complete it and then make the toilet paper - that way you would know exactly which way you wanted to drape. I've never done this before but this is what I personally would try.

Elcee Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 10

However you decide to do I hope you'll post pictures; that sounds SO cute!

UpAt2am Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 10

i think farmersdaughter is right on point...cut strips, do the horizontal lines to look like toilet paper. in order to give the gumpaste/fondant texture to look like toilet paper, you could put a paper towel (not viva icon_smile.gif) over it and roll with your pin. this will emboss it with bumps, etc. i would do this step first, then cut strips, then do the tiny quilting horizontal lines for separators.

metria Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 10

maybe use the quilting wheel to imprint the perforations between each square?

Chippi Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:18pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by metria

maybe use the quilting wheel to imprint the perforations between each square?

this is exactly what I was thinking also, roll your fondant real thin cut long strips same width as toilet paper then mark across with the quilting wheel, would be pretty easily done. icon_smile.gif Sounds really cute for a cake ......good luck! icon_smile.gif

suzied Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:05pm
post #7 of 10

should you have a pasta machine, pass fondant through it. you will get fairly thin,long, even lengths too.press a paper towel over.mark sheets with a dressmaking tracing wheel. trim sides and neaten out the edges. good luck. I havent done it myself, but this i what i will do if i had to.

jjaj Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 7:37pm
post #8 of 10

sounds absolutely adorable! can't wait to see pics! oh, and i agree with all that has been said already =)

Echooo3 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 9:27pm
post #9 of 10

Wow, so many GREAT responses. I love you guys!! xxoo

I will post pics.

Texas_Rose Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 9:29pm
post #10 of 10

It sounds great. You should make the figure and paper on a board that will sit on top of the cake, so your daughter can save them icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%