My Mother's Kitten Ate Gumpaste Flowers!

Decorating By Elcee Updated 27 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm by Elcee

Elcee Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 12

My mother texted me a little while ago; she had saved the gumpaste (actually 50/50 GP & fondant, does it make a difference?) flowers I made for her birthday cake and put them on a dish on her dresser. She found her kitten nibbling away, she had eaten 3 of them! I think she'll just have a major sugar rush and then crash for a long nap. I really hope so! icon_eek.gif

11 replies
costumeczar Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 12

She might want to call the vet...

idocakes4fun Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:40pm
post #3 of 12

Oh, my! I had to chuckle when I read this. It sounds like something that would happen at my house.

Elcee Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

She might want to call the vet...



You think? I'll let her know. Thanks!

Elcee Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:50pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by idocakes4fun

Oh, my! I had to chuckle when I read this. It sounds like something that would happen at my house.




icon_biggrin.gif I jokingly told my mom that MY cat is too smart to do something like that!

idocakes4fun Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:53pm
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by idocakes4fun

Oh, my! I had to chuckle when I read this. It sounds like something that would happen at my house.



icon_biggrin.gif I jokingly told my mom that MY cat is too smart to do something like that!


My 3 year old daughter took a big taste of GP awhile back and told me that Nana's cake was going to be ICKY! I'm guessing it was a little more appealing for kitty at 50/50.

Elcee Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:57pm
post #7 of 12

Well, so far I guess the little kitty is OK.

I have made magnets out of gumpaste things I want to keep. I have flowers and some of the little animals from a barnyard cake I made. I think in future I will do that for my mother if she wants to keep flowers from a cake.

costumeczar Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:59pm
post #8 of 12

I'd just be watching the kitten to make sure everything "comes out" okay, if you know what I mean!

Odyssey Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 3:56pm
post #9 of 12

Were there wire stamens in any of them? If so you need to find all of them and seriously count to make sure. If that kitten may have eaten a wire as well it would be safest to get an x-ray immediately. I hope the kitty is okay.

Eisskween Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 4:10pm
post #10 of 12

I looked it up on the net to see if tylose was toxic to cats, she may get a horrid case of diarrhea, but she should be fine. Just make sure she drinks fluids.

ttehan4 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 4:51pm
post #11 of 12

A friends toy poodle ate about 15 red roses large ones once. He just puked red goo for about a day in a half!

Elcee Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #12 of 12

Kitty is still fine and has shown no adverse side effects.

costumeczar, she is keeping a close eye on her; I did recommend that she contact the vet like you suggested earlier but since it is the weekend she will take her to the emergency vet if she starts acting sick or strangely.

Odyssey, no, thankfully no wires or stamens, strictly the GP/fondant mix and a little RI.

Eisskween, I can't believe I didn't think of looking it up! That was so nice of you! Good to know it's not truly toxic.

ttehan4, I can just imagine how hard that must have been to clean up! Poor pooch.

Thanks, everyone, for all of your suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%