Cake Circles Fitting Cake

Decorating By ilovemylittleone Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 11:30pm by erin12345

ilovemylittleone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilovemylittleone Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 10

This may sound silly, but does everyone cut their bought circles to fit their cakes. If so, how much room do you leave for the icing.

9 replies
monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 10

For exampel, if I'm putting an 8" cake on an 8" circle, no I don't cut it. What size cake and board do you have?

Buttacream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttacream Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 10

I do. But I also use a cake base and I dont like my cardboard showing. I dont cut it too small because the cake becomes unstable...but I cut it to the exact size of the cake. Then my borders I do on the base board.

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 10

I always cut mine (and wish somebody would sell ones that were about 1/2 inch smaller than standard sizes for this purpose!)

I guess I must not do my icing or borders as thick as most people, because if I didn't trim the boards, they would certainly show and look ugly!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:38pm
post #5 of 10

For example, I put an 8" cake on an 8" board. I WANT the board a wee bit bigger, because that's where the icing goes. You use the edge of the board and a guide for your spatula/bench scraper to apply and smooth the icing. That helps keep the depth of the icing uniform.

ilovemylittleone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilovemylittleone Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 11:03pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks for all the info. I have a 10" for a 9" cake and a 8" for a 6" cake. Any suggestions.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 10

Place the pan on the cake board. Draw around it with a pencil. Cut.

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

For example, I put an 8" cake on an 8" board. I WANT the board a wee bit bigger, because that's where the icing goes. You use the edge of the board and a guide for your spatula/bench scraper to apply and smooth the icing. That helps keep the depth of the icing uniform.

This is assuming you are capable of centering the cake on the board! I still have trouble with that icon_biggrin.gif

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 11:29pm
post #9 of 10

I agree with Leah. I use the edges of the circle as a guide for how thick the icing should be and smooth around with the bench scraper.

erin12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin12345 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 11:30pm
post #10 of 10

Most cake decorating supply stores carry cake circles in a variety of sizes. It might be worth your time and money to check out a local cake store or on-line supply and get a variety of sizes to have on hand. I currently have 6,7,8,9,10,12, and 16 inch cake circles. It would save you the aggravation and time of cutting cake circles. Very convenient!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%