Need To Make Sure I'm Understanding Gum Paste Recipe Clearly

Decorating By andyneal331 Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 9:37pm by jolmk

andyneal331 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 8:58pm
post #1 of 5

I'm trying to make my own Gum Paste, so I got the recipe from the Wilton Gum-Tex container... here is the recipe and instructions:

1 TBS gum-tex
4 cups sifted powder sugar
1 heaping TBS glucose
4 TBS warm water

In large bowl, combine Gum-tex with 3 cups of confectioners sugar. Make a well in the center and set aside. Combine water and glucose in a glass measuring cup. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds until mixture is clear. Pour into well of sugar and mix until well blended. (Mixture will be very soft)

Place mixture in a plastic bag and seal tightly. Let rest at room temperature for 8 hours or overnight. Knead in remaining sugar into gum paste when you are ready to use it. As you work in the sugar, the gum paste will whiten and become softer. Keep it covered to prevent it from drying out, you can add a little vegetable shortening to keep it soft and pliable.

My questions are:
1. I will NOT use all of my gum paste at once.. I'll use small amounts over time..does this mean not to mix any of the remaining cup in until I'm about to use it?

2. For little flowers and such, should I use 50/50 of the gum paste mixture with my fondant?

3. Is this the best gum paste recipe or is there another you would recommend that's still pretty easy??

4 replies
jolmk Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 12:03am
post #2 of 5

I really like Nicholas Lodge's recipe, it's on his site and I also think Edna has it on her site as well (www. designmeacake. com). It is easy, but you need tylose powder to make it.

Hope this helps
Jo

Texas_Rose Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 12:15am
post #3 of 5

Nicholas Lodge's recipe is much better than the Wilton one. It's easier because the mixer does all the work too.

For small flowers, I just make them from fondant. They'll hold their shape if dried on formers overnight. I do them that way because they will stay soft enough to eat and most of the people I bake for like to eat their flowers.

andyneal331 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:02am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Nicholas Lodge's recipe is much better than the Wilton one. It's easier because the mixer does all the work too.

For small flowers, I just make them from fondant. They'll hold their shape if dried on formers overnight. I do them that way because they will stay soft enough to eat and most of the people I bake for like to eat their flowers.

I'll definitely check out Nick Lodge's recipe! I already made up a batch of the Wilton recipe, but that's alright! I can find use for it.

I definitely want the flowers edible! Is the Wilton recipe not edible?? Have you ever made MMF and mixed it with gum paste to set the flowers up? I'm not a fan of regular fondant.

jolmk Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 9:37pm
post #5 of 5

Gum paste flowers are edible, but since it dries really hard thay are not pleasant to eat. Fondant ones are better to eat. I have never tried MMF.

Jo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%