Hand Painting On Cakes

Decorating By Jessica_Marie Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 10:47pm by ChoueiriCakeCo

Jessica_Marie Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone. I'm new to cake decorating. I guess you can say it is a hobby and I only make them for family and friends. I have seen pictures of here where people hand paint the cakes. How is this done? What product or products to I use to achieve this? I would really like to know. I've tried to find a thread on this but I was unsuccessful. Please help. Also can this be done on crusted buttercream or just fondant?

5 replies
TexasSugar Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 6

It can be done on crusting buttercream (see my skate board cake) or on fondant.

You can use gel colors, often mixed with lemon extract, alcohols (vodka, gin, everclear) or some even use it straight out of the bottle.

You can also use airbrush colors which are already in liquid form.

You can also mix luster or pearl dust with lemon extract or alcohols (vodka, gin, everclear).

Jessica_Marie Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 9:01pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks so much TexasSugar! That was so helpful!! I appreciate it!

JenniferAtwood Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 6

I find Americolor the best gels to work with when painting.

Elcee Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

You can also use airbrush colors which are already in liquid form.

TexasSugar, you always have the most useful information! I had received a bottle of air brush color in a gift bag and just figured I'd never use it icon_smile.gif! It never occurred to me that I could use it for painting. Thanks so much!

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 6

When you paint with gel colors and extracts, will it ever dry completely? I hand painted some cupcakes a while ago and noticed some of the black paint came off onto people's teeth when they were being eaten (It didn't leave a stain, thankfully).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%