Royal Icing Lilies, Cooking Spray & Old Meringue Powder

Baking By Health Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 6:35pm by TexasSugar

Health Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Health Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 4

I've always been taught to keep grease away from royal icing. I'm making lilies on a nail lined with foil. Every recipe I find now says to spray the foil lightly with a cooking spray! I don't really have time to do these twice so what's the concensus? Can/should I spray the foil or not? I don't remember doing that the last time I made them and they came out just fine, if I'm remembering correctly.

Also, the meringue powder I'm planning to use has been in my cupboard for years but I don't see an expiration date on it. Can I still use it? Will it still work?

Thanks for your help!

3 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 4

If it has been in there for years I'd say no don't use it.

As far as the oil, royal icing can touch oil after it is made. It is the making it process that it will screw things up.

When I took C3, years ago, we piped royal icing hearts on wax paper that was tapped to flower forms. We lightly greased the wax paper with crisco and the hearts dried and came off the paper easier.

This last summer I did the pink and black cake in my photos. I coated the fondant with crisco to clean off the powder sugar and to make it less dull. It had a coat of crisco over the whole thing. I piped all the scroll stuff on it in royal icing. It dried just fine, didn't melt or bleed or anything. icon_smile.gif

Health Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Health Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, TS!

I did use the older meringue powder. Since the instructions said to whip it in water first I figured I had nothing to lose. It took a little extra powder and maybe a little longer to get it to a soft peak but then it worked just fine.

You gave me the courage to use a light spray on the foil and that is working well too.

I don't have any stamins so I thought I'd do them with icing. Any suggestions fo that or something else I could use? I really don't want to make a trip to the store for this.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 4

Sorry I didn't see your reply sooner, I'm usually off line on the weekends. You can use thin spaghetti noodles for stamens.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%