Dry Fondant

Baking By mickey169 Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 10:32am by ChoueiriCakeCo

mickey169 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:25pm
post #1 of 5

I make marhmallow fondant for my cakes, when I knead it, it's perfect, then after like 5 minutes sometimes it turns super dry, like play dough, what causes this?? It normally happens after color is added to it NEVER before. Does the color dry it out? icon_sad.gif

4 replies
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 5

Are you using gel or paste food coloring?

Gel colors tend to make fondant too wet, so I can only imagine paste coloring may dry the fondant. Try kneading in shortening to help soften the fondant after you've colored it.

DeeDelightful Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 4:48am
post #3 of 5

You have to keep it covered with plastic wrap. Air dries it out quickly.

prterrell Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 4:58am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoueiriCakeCo

Are you using gel or paste food coloring?

Gel colors tend to make fondant too wet, so I can only imagine paste coloring may dry the fondant. Try kneading in shortening to help soften the fondant after you've colored it.

icon_confused.gif ??? Gel-paste food coloring is ONE kind of food color. The others are liquid (like at the grocery store) and powdered (which is a dry powder).

Anyway, yeah, you need to keep fondant covered at all times, just like playdough, it dries quickly in the airy.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:32am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

icon_confused.gif ??? Gel-paste food coloring is ONE kind of food color. The others are liquid (like at the grocery store) and powdered (which is a dry powder).

Sorry, that's what I meant icon_redface.gif I only use gel so I wasn't quite sure what the dry ones were called icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%