Florida Gator Logo??

Decorating By CaseyNic Updated 27 Mar 2010 , 3:27am by CaseyNic

CaseyNic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CaseyNic Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 9

OK, novice cake lady here... A friend has requested that I make her hubby a birthday cake with the florida gators mascot/logo thingy on it. I'm thinking FBCT?? I've read instructions on it, but am a little scared about trying (silliness, I know) Do you guys think that is the best way to go about this? Is there any other route you would suggest?? Just curious, thought I'd bounce it off some real cake pros thumbs_up.gif
LL

8 replies
Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 9

when i did my last one, i made an oval cake, printed out a photo of the logo the same size as the cake and cut out colored fondant pieces to match the photo, then i put it together like a puzzle, piped a thin outline around each piece and was done. The cake in in my pictures. HTH

CaseyNic Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 9

icon_eek.gif Holy CANNOLI Enchanted!! that is AWESOME and you my friend are GENIUS!! Why didn't I think of that?? I wonder if it would work with modeling chocolate rolled out and trimmed.... For some reason still afraid to make the fondant leap but modeling chocolate is far less intimidating to me... I'm super stoked to work on this now! THANK A MILLION!

Enchantedcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Enchantedcakes Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 9

It should work with modeling choclatre, you would just have to color the chocolate just right. There is nothing to fear about fondant, especially if you are just tinting it and cutting out shapes. Have fun making your cake. Be sure to post phots.

deah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deah Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 9

I can't upload my pics right now but if you look at my blog you will see two that are college logos - Campbell University and Wake Forest. http://2chixinthemix.wordpress.com/gallery/

I did both of these by putting piping gel on a reversed copy of the logo, laying on the cake top to transfer the outline and filling in with the star tip. What really finishes it is the detail piping of the features.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 9

Enchantedcakes...can you tell me what page the cake you're talking about is on?

When I made the helmet in my avatar, I wanted to do the Gator head logo somewhere on the field, but I was very new and didn't know what method would work best...your (puzzle piece) way sounds great!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #7 of 9

I did an FBCT for my Gators logo. it took longer than I had expected b/c of all the teeth and detailed outlines, but I was happy with the results and it was pretty easy to do.
LL

dkltll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dkltll Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 9

I did what Enchanted did. I made an oval cake & cut up a picture of the logo to use as a pattern for my fondant. The pic is in my photos; however, it was like the 2nd cake I ever did so it doesn't look as good as Enchanted's cake. Hope this helps!

CaseyNic Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 3:27am
post #9 of 9

Thank you all for your replies... Now I have some ideas to play with this weekend icon_lol.gif I will definitely post a pic when I get it worked out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%