To Freeze Or Not To Freeze...

Baking By mommareynolds Updated 31 Mar 2010 , 8:00pm by indydebi

mommareynolds Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 6

I have my daughter's birthday party next weekend (4/3) and my in-laws are going to be in town a few days before. (I think driving in on 4/1) I don't want to have to be cooking cupcakes the whole time they are here.

I was thinking of making them while they were driving in (so 4/1) now my question is should I freeze them when I'm done? and then take them out on 4/3 to decorate. But then how long do I need to give them to thaw before the party (at 5:30pm)??

Would they be okay to just stick in a box and leave there for 2 days before I decorate? I'll be using WASC.

I hope this all makes sense!!! Thanks in advance for help!

5 replies
CarolAnn Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:50pm
post #2 of 6

You'll be fine baking your cupcakes two days ahead and freezing. If you cant freeze them in and airtight container (I have the rectangular ones from Wal Mart with snap on lids) be sure and wrap your box in plastic to get a good seal all around. Cupcakes don't take long to thaw, so if you unwrap the box and let them sit for an hour they should be ready to ice.
I always try and fit enough in a container so they can't fall over and get bent out of shape. Cups and bowls can be used to take up extra space so the cuppies can't move around. I just hate having to ice a misshapen cupcake. Around here they get sampled first! Ü

Bluehue Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommareynolds

I have my daughter's birthday party next weekend (4/3) and my in-laws are going to be in town a few days before. (I think driving in on 4/1) I don't want to have to be cooking cupcakes the whole time they are here.

I was thinking of making them while they were driving in (so 4/1) now my question is should I freeze them when I'm done?
Most definately - bake and then wrap and freeze.
and then take them out on 4/3 to decorate.
If you take them out early morning and leave just on your kitchen bench - they will be thawed completely with in an hour (depending on your weather of course)
Then decorate and set them up on your stand/platter - they will be fine as they are, ready for the afternoon.
If you have those food covers - i would cover them with that sort of thing just to keep dust/flies/little fingers off them.

But then how long do I need to give them to thaw before the party (at 5:30pm)??

Would they be okay to just stick in a box and leave there for 2 days before I decorate? I'll be using WASC.

****Preferably - it would be best to either freeze them or keep in an air tight container. thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue icon_smile.gif

I hope this all makes sense!!! Thanks in advance for help!

nicoles0419 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:00pm
post #4 of 6

If you bake on the 1st and are going to eat them on the 3rd, I wouldnt freeze them at all, thats the way I always make my cakes, bake 2 days before, frost the day before, ready for pick up/eat on the day

Sara789 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 6

Both methods will work. I usually do what nicoles0419 does. I will even decorate the cupcakes and put in an airtight container, leaving them on the counter. This is what happens with cupcakes being eaten over 5 days at work, and everyone is surprised that they stay moist and fresh. It's in the packaging - something air tight.

indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 6

cupcakes should thaw in about 30 minutes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%