How Do I Get 'filling' Inside A Cupcake?

Baking By Bklyn_Babie Updated 3 Jan 2017 , 12:38pm by Bakery-Wala

Bklyn_Babie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bklyn_Babie Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 22

I'm not sure if this question has been answered in this forum before, but I did a quick search and came up with null. (I'm also totally sneaking onto this forum while I'm at work... heheheh)

I want to make 'easter egg' style cupcakes for my cousins easter egg hunt party this weekend. I thought about making white cupcakes with a 'yellow frosting' cream center (for an egg and yolk) effect. But I realized that I have ZERO idea how to get that creamy middle in there!

I considered doing it like a 'lava cake' type, but that's far too difficult since I don't have time, and not quite sure its smart to give 5 year old children a cake with a hot melty center (I forsee scalded mouths and lots of tears...)

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Everyone on this forum has been a god-send for me thus far, I'm hoping you guys can give me some ideas/instructions to get me going!!!

21 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 22

I use an icing bag and tip.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 22

Wilton's tip #230 is made for doing just that. You just insert it into the cupcake and squeeze. Word of caution here, be careful not to fill too much because you can blow out your cupcake. It's fun making filled cuppies because people are so surprised when they dig in and find filling.
Have fun!!

kimebarnes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimebarnes Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 22

they make an long skinny tip i think 230 but you can check the wilton site. that you use with a bag just like other tips but make sure cupcakes are cool or you get a mess

Bklyn_Babie Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 22

First, I'd like to thank you ladies for your prompt response! I never knew they made a tip just for that. I MUST get one.

However, the 'local' craft/supply store isn't very local for me. Is there a 'make-shift' or "ghetto" way to do it? Maybe a straw duct taped to a pastry bag? LOL!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 22

Michaels has this time in their Cupcake tip set, but if you don't have a store local, just use a tip 12. It will work. icon_smile.gif I've used it many of times.

Rosa2745 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosa2745 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:54pm
post #7 of 22

Walmart and our local grocery store also carries this tip in their cupcake decorating set. If you have a walmart nearby you can check there.

nicoles0419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles0419 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:58pm
post #8 of 22

I just use a tip 12, it works great.

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 22

If you do alot of cupcakes you might even consider a donut filler like this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250603876458&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Bklyn_Babie Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 22

I'm located in Brooklyn, NY. The closest Walmart to me is in New Jersey! LOL!

#12 tip. So I just bake the cupcake, after it cools, I just shove the tip into the belly and squeeze? I don't have to hollow out the cake or anything?

kimebarnes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimebarnes Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 22

just put the tip in about halfway and squeeze slowly the cake part kind of compresses the first time i did i went to hard and fast and had a filling blowout of the bottom but then i slowed down and it works fine

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:00pm
post #12 of 22

Bklynbarbie- not sure where in brooklyn you are, but there are some cake supply stores in brooklyn and in queens. ANd there's a Michaels on 100th Street and Columbus in Manhattan.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:09pm
post #13 of 22

I insert the tip about halfway, and start piping. You will fill the cupcake expand a little. When the filling starts coming out the top around the top I stop. icon_smile.gif

Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:33pm
post #14 of 22

I do this a lot- you can either take the handle of a wooden spoon & push it down in the center to make the hole & then pipe in the icing with the bag, or I have used an apple corer to take out the cake filling in the center of the cupcake, and then fill with icing in bag. You just don't want to over fill. If you don't have icing bags- you can use a baggie & cut a small end off & use that. This works for me. Hope it helps!

Bklyn_Babie Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:56pm
post #15 of 22

you guys are awesome! gunna go home and try this on a few cupcakes i've got sitting around already <3

love you guys!!!

ShanB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanB Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:31pm
post #16 of 22

I sometimes use a apple corer to core the middle of the cupcake out then fill it. Allows for lots of filling and I don't explode the sides out like I usually do with the tip and bag way.

socake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
socake Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:57am
post #17 of 22

i love the apple corer, use it all the time!

here is a link to a photo from flickr user Milen@ showing what it looks like!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mka900/3445619960/

worth a look!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 7:42am
post #18 of 22

Fun fact: the filling tip (#230) is called a Bismarck tip because it's first use was for making filled pastries called Bismarcks (they look like large, slightly oval filled donuts). icon_biggrin.gif

Julie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie53 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 11:37am
post #19 of 22

Bklyn_Babie--- Don't forget that after you use the apple corer to get the cake middle out that you can save that and use it for cake balls... (depending on how many you make). I try not to waste anything! icon_wink.gif

ToniMarieLovesCuppies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ToniMarieLovesCuppies Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 6:28pm
post #20 of 22

lol I actually used a bismarck tip, reverse! I stuck it tip side up into the cupcake so that when you took it out, the center of the cupcake comes out and then fill!

I got way more filling in it and they were so much easier to do! The bismarck tip just made my cupcakes explode. lol.

<3

Ldsprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ldsprincess Posted 3 Jan 2017 , 12:14am
post #21 of 22

If you don't have a bag or tip you could use a zip lock bag with the tip cut off and the end of a wooden spoon or apple core worked for me 

Bakery-Wala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakery-Wala Posted 3 Jan 2017 , 12:38pm
post #22 of 22

Hello.....

My name  is Anuj Singh from India.  Its  very good topic to discuss more about this topic. i am new one user for this site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%