Placing Real Flowers Between Cake Tiers - ?

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 2:44am by auzzi

mom2spunkynbug Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 6

I have a very small cake for tomorrow (4" on top of a 6" - squares) & the bride wants fresh flowers between the two cakes. I have never done this before, so I was thinking to get some floral foam from Michael's & to put that between the tiers and to stick the flowers into that - is that the correct way to do it? Am I supposed to soak the foam in water first? What should I put between the foam and the cake so they arent touching? (wax paper?)

Any help would be appreciated.

5 replies
MissCakeCrazy Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 6

from what I know, you need to dowel the bottom tier first (no matter how small it is). The dowel needs to be the height of the cake plus the height of the pillar and foam on top. There are 2 methods you can use. First one is blocking - placing a block of foam and sticking dowels on all four corners (make sure the block / foam is 2" smaller than the tier above). You then stick the flowers in. They are usually wired, or you can place them in the gap. 2nd mathod is pillars. If you just want the row of flowers to be seen, then don't use pillars.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks - yes I was planning on getting foam smaller than the top tier & also doweling everything.

The flowers won't be wired though - do you think that will be a problem? Will they not just stick right in the foam? They will be hydrangeas...

2SchnauzerLady Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 6

I believe hydrangeas are on the poisonous list. You want to be extremely careful to keep them from touching cake. Hopefully someone will come along and help you with that aspect.

MissCakeCrazy Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 6

I don't know much about poisonous flowers but if they were roses for example and they weren't wired, no you cannot stick on styrafoam. You can just placed in against the foam

auzzi Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:44am
post #6 of 6

Hydrangea are definitely poisonous ..

Any useable fresh flowers would have to be guaranteed pesticide-, herbicide-, and fungicide-free by the person supplying the bride.. There is a distinct allergy-aspect to using flowers as well ..

Make sure that the bride accepts the liability for using them .. a signed waiver IS necessary ..

Quote by @%username% on %date%