Hazelnut Extract Substitute?

Baking By mom2spunkynbug Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 6:22pm by karateka

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 8

I use King Arthur's White Cake recipe, which includes vanilla & almond extracts. (I call it Vanilla Almond) A bride asked me if she could have a Vanilla Hazelnut cake instead of Vanilla Almond...I said yes, no problem, since I would just replace the almond with hazelnut.

I went to the store yesterday and could not find any hazelnut!!! I went online to the McCormick website and they do not even sell such a thing!! Now the wedding is tomorrow (it's a very small cake) and I don't know what to do?!

Any suggestions?! (I did buy hazelnut coffee creamer- ?)

7 replies
Ronbob1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ronbob1984 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:12pm
post #2 of 8

You can use Hazlenut Liquor. I have for a wonderful cake.

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 8

Try one of these
- you can also use "Torani" it's a syrup but will work the same... I find this at World Market or Resturant Depot.
- Also I some times use "Nutella" which can be found in any supermarket.
- Lastly you can get Hazelnut flour at any chinese market and use it in your cake (use about 1/2 c of the hazelnut flour & take away 1/2 c from the regular flour in your recipe).
Let us know how it goes :0)

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbob1984

You can use Hazlenut Liquor. I have for a wonderful cake.

Thank you - Where can I find this?

Cakemom, thanks for your suggestions!

Ronbob1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ronbob1984 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 8

I usually buy the Nip bottles at the Liquor store. Baileys, Frangelico(hazelnut), Kahlua, Butterscotch Snapps, Limoncello. The possibilities are only limited to what is available

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:49pm
post #6 of 8

I second the frangelico liquer.

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:11pm
post #7 of 8

As much as I LOVE to soak cakes, or bake with alcohol in them, I try to use the oils more often than the liqueurs. There are a lot of people who don't want or can't have the alcohol content. The oils are a good option (IMHO) icon_smile.gif

Also, many grocers (ie: Safeway, Kroger, Albertsons) have nut oils in their baking aisles, too. I don't know the brand, but there is one that carries walnut, hazelnut, and others. keep your eyes peeled, and good luck!

HTH,
~ Scott

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:22pm
post #8 of 8

I purchased some hazelnut extract from Whole Foods. I also bought some Hazelnut oil, which I replaced half of the butter in my recipe with. Made for a nice hazelnut cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%