Recipes For First Time Cake Maker

Baking By LoJay Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 4:46am by mamawrobin

LoJay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoJay Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:54am
post #1 of 5

Hello everyone!

I am going to be attempting to make a fondant covered tiered cake for my graduation party and I would love it if someone could suggest some basic (but delicious) cake and frosting recipes that would be firm enough to make a 3-tiered cake.... I wanted to do red-velvet but I was told that its too soft to support itself.
Thanks!

~Lauren

4 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:59am
post #2 of 5

Hi and Welcome to CC, LoJay. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

The above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

The "so much more" is baking help, hints & tips, cake construction help with a link to photos of common cake construction methods with accurate & complete directions, and a variety of buttercream smoothing techniques...

Here's a great doctored RVC doctored cake mix recipe:

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7573/red-velvet-redux-easy-durable

HTH

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 7:43am
post #3 of 5

I make red velvet cakes often the key is to use proper supports. You need to use wooden dowels in the bottom and second layer. I was given a butter cream frosting recipe ten years ago and it's the only recipe I use. This recipe is a crusting frosting. If you frost your cake and let it sit for ten to fifteen minutes you can lay a paper towel on the top and sides and imprint the pattern. Just gently smooth with the palm of you hand and fingers or use a fondant smoother. 2 lbs powdered sugar, 1 1/2 cups hi ratio shortening, 1/3 cup water, 1 stick salted butter, softened and 2 tablespoons clear vanilla. Whip until light and fluffy about five to seven minutes. If you want a simple but really good filling take one small box instant pudding and one pint whipping cream. Whip until peaks form. So good and great for filling cakes and cupcakes. If you are planning on making your fondant the best one to work with is marshmallow fondant. There is a great recipe on allrecipes.com. I don't use butter though I use shortening and add five drops candy oil flavoring.

LoJay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoJay Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:40am
post #4 of 5

Thank you all for your responses. I am going to give this a dry run this weekend and see how it works. I ordered some cake pans from GSA and am hoping that the largest one (14") will cook evenly! Any advice?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:46am
post #5 of 5

I've made several tiered cakes using red velvet cake. Didn't have any problems myself. Good luck to you. I do however add pudding and an extra egg to the mix. You can add either instant white chocolate or instant chocolate pudding. It makes it a bit denser.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%