What If The Support Columns Are Shorter Than The Cake?

Decorating By athena24 Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 3:32pm by athena24

athena24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
athena24 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:49am
post #1 of 8

I am making a small 2 tier stacked cake, (12" & 8") I bought an 8" support plate with 4" tall columns, however the cake is about 4 1/2" inches tall. Can these still be used, or will the weight of the top cake cause the bottom cake to bow out on the sides? (The top tier is a lighter cake, it's a chocolate chiffon cake, if that makes any difference.) Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

7 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:34am
post #2 of 8

The weight of the top tier is usually supported by the columns.

But if the columns are too short - you'll be inserting them into the 4-1/2" layer where they will be floating, instead of reaching the bottom cakeboard where they can function as supports. icon_eek.gif

I'd recommend using cakeboards and dowels cut to the proper length if you can't get the correct size columns... Otherwise, it's pointless to use the columns since they won't be serving any useful purpose...

(Or you can trim the cake tier to 4", but I wouldn't recommend taking that route.)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 7:07am
post #3 of 8

are you talking about those little posts that are kinda inserted into the underside of the plate when the plate is placed on top of the cake? They're probably smaller in width than a pencil??

if so, throw them out .... they are useless. 25+ years ago I almost had a cake topple from using those things (it was back in the day before internet and CC and we didnt' know any better!). In my opinion, they are mostly for looks....I can't figure out what they actually do.

If that's not what you have, then disregard this whole post. icon_redface.gif

athena24 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks so much for your help. icon_smile.gif
(They are actually wider than that... they are hollow column type things approx 1inch-ish in diameter)
I thought that they would be a no brainer, but my cakes turned out larger than I thought.
Thank you both for your wisdom. icon_smile.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:13pm
post #5 of 8

if you can also buy the 9 in. ones and trim them to the height you need... do you have spare ones?

athena24 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks. icon_smile.gif
I think I will go get the taller ones today. icon_smile.gif

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 8

Good.... just cut them to size... it's better to go on the safe side... even if the top cake is light as Jan said... it would have buldged... Good Luck! and let's see some pics when u r finished.. icon_smile.gif

athena24 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%