Sponge Cake Vs Boxed Cake?

Decorating By yummy_in_my_tummy Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 8:06pm by yummy_in_my_tummy

yummy_in_my_tummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:04am
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to cake decorating and was wondering what the benefits are (if there are any) to using a sponge cake instead of a regular white/yellow/chocolate cake? icon_confused.gif

I've never made a sponge cake before, but I think it's a heavier, more solid cake to use and they're easier to carve (I would think)??

Thanks!

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:18am
post #2 of 6

Are you in the US or the UK?

Sponge cakes are NOT heavier or more solid than box mix cakes in the US.

As far as I know, in the UK, most box mixes are for sponge cake, so there really wouldn't be much of a difference.

Either way, a sponge cake is a light, airy cake, that contains little or no fat. Are you perhaps confusing sponge cake with pound cake? Pound cakes contain a lot of butter and so are denser and firmer.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for your response! Maybe I am getting them confused? I found a recipe for a Victoria Sponge, and it came out pretty thick. Of course, there's always a very good chance I did something wrong! icon_biggrin.gif

So what would you recommend I use for my cakes?

Thanks again for your help!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 6

I recommend you use the kind of cake that you like to eat.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 6

I would use what you are comfortable using and what your customers like.

I have used straight cake mix as well as doctored cake mixes for carved cakes and haven't had a problem with them.

yummy_in_my_tummy Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks again ladies! I wasn't sure if there was a "standard" type to use : ) I will do what my little heart desires! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%