New To Cake Decorating

Decorating By justcakeit07 Updated 23 Apr 2010 , 5:44pm by justcakeit07

justcakeit07 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:15am
post #1 of 8

so I have started cake decorating and i absolutely love it!!! My fiances mom and grandma used to decorate cakes back in the day before fondant. lol be im into the fondant.

But anyways i just wanted to ask a few questions. Like first off I have been using box cakes to be exact yellow cake and i read adding an extra egg to the recipe will help with the cake holding the fondant. i was wondering if yall had any good from scratch recipes for good cakes and if u look in my photos that is the second cake me and my cake decorating partner ever made.

So last weekend i made a two tier cake bottom layer was two i think 12 inch yellow cakes and top was i want to say two 9 inch chocolate cakes iced with buttercreme store bought for right now until i start making homemade BC.

But yea i didnt use any cake boards or dowels lol so it kinda caved in on its self but the actuall decorations on it were pretty cool ill post a pic of it later. but any suggestions would be gratly appreciated.

7 replies
mamawrobin Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:01am
post #2 of 8

I guess you know by now that you ALWAYS have to use cakeboards and dowels (or some support system) when stacking a cake icon_lol.gif That said you can add an egg and a 4oz. box of instant pudding to a cake mix and it will give you a good dense cake that holds fondant very well. There are some really good scratch receipes here on cc in the receipe section. I use the WASC using cake mix as the base for most all of my cakes.

Good luck.

prterrell Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:21am
post #3 of 8

Read through the forums. There's a vast amount of information here.

JanH Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:31am
post #4 of 8

Hi and Welcome to CC, justcakeit07. icon_smile.gif

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

The above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more!

The "so much more" is baking help, hints & tips, cake construction help with a link to photos of common cake construction methods with accurate & complete directions, and a variety of buttercream smoothing techniques...

justcakeit07 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:16am
post #5 of 8

tahnk yall all so much did yall get a chance to look at my one cake it ws my second one i ever did

akgirl10 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:56am
post #6 of 8

Nice job! I can tell you've been bitten by the cake bug already, you'll love this place.

I think finding a good buttercream recipe that works for you is crucial to successful caking. I use Sugarshack's recipe. The Wilton class buttercream is a good start too.

Look forward to seeing your cakes, welcome to CC!

justcakeit07 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:27am
post #7 of 8

yea i was pretty impressed myself with the way it turned out for my second cake my motto is just keep practicing and practicing.

justcakeit07 Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 8

just reporting back witrh everybody tht i made a 3 tier b-day cake for my fiances 2 b-day party and for only having 2 1/2 hours to do it it turned out very well granted it was only had one layer of cake for each tier it still turned out well. at the b-day party i had a couple a ladies asked me if i did wedding cakes and i told her i was practicing and getting better so yea just letting yall know

Quote by @%username% on %date%