Suggestions On Where To Relocate

Business By Sweet_Guys Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 6:28pm by Uniqueask

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:13am
post #31 of 38

For those inquiring about moving TO Florida, here's our reasons for considering moving out:

1) Housing prices have gone up considerbly and then the market burst..So values are not good for those of us who purchased
2) The legistlature continually makes decisions based upon what's in the best interests for seniors and for tourists
3) The state and county governments always seem to be reactionary versus planning ahead----For instance, we have no money but they've pushed through mass transit/high speed trains to be built...Why would we pay $60 to travel by train from Orlando to Tampa when I can get there by car in 60 minutes or less
4) Educational leaders will talk about how wonderful the schools are (I work in them!) On the front line, the teacher are working as best as they can with little money for supplies and now they're in the process of pushing through tieing salaries to test scores with little regard to student effort or lack of parental involvement
5) Taxes are going down continually as costs escalate only to be told we need to tighten our belts

On the plus side:
1) It gets cool for a couple of months and extremely hot in the summer
2) The beaches are nearby
3) You have the theme parks
4) Florida Mini-Classes ROCK!!!
5) There are cake clubs in most geographic regions of the state

Sorry if it seems like ranting...I'm just tired of poor planning on others that ends up either costing us or forcing us to cut back even leaner than we already are. I understand that perhaps moving from other areas may make this area seem like a gold mine.

I guess like they say: The grass is always greener on the other side!

I'm done ranting...I'm going to go play with sugar!!!

Paul

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 5:19pm
post #32 of 38

I'd recommend Idaho because it's a beautiful state with low taxes and fairly easy business restrictions/health department requirements, and low cost of living. However, since I'm assuming that you guys are a couple, I'd have to say that Idaho is not exactly a mecca of tolerance or liberalism. If I didn't have deep roots here, I think we'd move to a place that's more diverse from a social/political/religious standpoint.

Have you thought of Portland, Oregon? It's a great city, and seems to be a pretty hospitable business environment. I think Oregon allows licensed home kitchens. The northwest is A LOT colder. That might be your biggest adjustment!

Good luck in your search! Be sure to post and let us know when you decide. It's fun to see people "pitch" their own states.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 5:58pm
post #33 of 38

Maybe you should think about coming back to the Albany-NY Area, I live in Oneonta and there is nothing Here, there is only one Party store and they don't carry everything so you can research the area,and think about it.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 7:33pm
post #34 of 38

Gee, although i would love to see another shop in the Albany, NY area (there are two that i know of), i wouldn't recommend it. The taxes here are a killer and it seems like they want to impose a new one all the time. Although if you two are a couple there are some very excepting communities around here.

Uniqueask Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:36am
post #35 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

Gee, although i would love to see another shop in the Albany, NY area (there are two that i know of), i wouldn't recommend it. The taxes here are a killer and it seems like they want to impose a new one all the time. Although if you two are a couple there are some very excepting communities around here.

Hey Peg would you mind sharing those two with me.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:57am
post #36 of 38

Well there is Candyland Confectionery in East Greenbush thats right on 9and 20

and there in Confectionery House in Troy, right on Hoosick St, Or it might be considered route 7. Its right on that main drag heading towards VT.

Just wanted to add, that confectionery house has a web site that you can visit, it will give you a good idea of what they carry.

Also, if you are up for the trip global is about 2 1/2 hours north of albany.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 9:54am
post #37 of 38

I live in Central Florida and am also a real estate agent. Yes, a lot of people are moving out which is one of the reasons we are struggling in the housing area. Some are moving because of the economy, trying to find jobs. The housing prices have seriously TANKED. There are many people so deep upside down in what they owe on their house it seems senseless to stay.

On the plus side, housing prices are great. I love living here (been here 24 years from Maryland). I personally could not see myself moving back north because of the cold.

Sweet_guys, I understand what you are saying. If you move it will be nice to know that you are still a "chat" neighbor. Best of luck, good things happen everywhere and it sounds like there are lots of choices!!

Uniqueask Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 6:28pm
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by peg818

Well there is Candyland Confectionery in East Greenbush thats right on 9and 20

and there in Confectionery House in Troy, right on Hoosick St, Or it might be considered route 7. Its right on that main drag heading towards VT.

Just wanted to add, that confectionery house has a web site that you can visit, it will give you a good idea of what they carry.

Also, if you are up for the trip global is about 2 1/2 hours north of albany.

Thank You Peg.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%