Off Set Wedding Cakes, Or Just Cakes

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 4:04am by 2txmedics

2txmedics Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:46am
post #1 of 18

I was watching cakes on line, and wondering how do you stack a "off set" cake? how and what makes it balance so that the edges doesnt hurt the other cake underneath.?

Anyone? tks

17 replies
Odyssey Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:09am
post #2 of 18

You mean those ones that are kinda floating half-on and half-off? I've been trying to figure that out for a month. ^_^ I'll be watching this thread.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:25am
post #3 of 18

I found a stand and here is the site but just scroll down a bit

http://www.cakestackers.com/cake-supports.html

2txmedics Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:27am
post #4 of 18

Yes!!! Exactly, like this one in this link:

http://www.weddingcakelady.com/Stacked/new/1s2.jpg

How does it not affect the bottom cake? I mean whats the trick?

tarheelgirl Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 11:26am
post #5 of 18

WOW.. those are really cool cake stands! I would love to know the answer to this too. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

cakeandpartygirl Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 18

I think the trick is that it's supported by the dowels and of course the metal cake plate that it sits on top of is the trick. I was looking at the picture of the stand and it shows that the middle pipe goes through the whole thing. I think it is also some science and math of course behind how far the tier can go out before it's off balance.

2txmedics Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 18

Yes, Im the one who found those Stackers and put the link up....but I can not afford the cost of those!!!! Did you see it?!! lol

So there has to be away for us to do it with the wiltong platters....Ive seen alot of them....

matthewkyrankelly Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 18

It is a lot of math and science and engineering. Basically, any time you have some thing hanging, ie. cantilevered, both the piece the is hanging and its support both bend to some degree. The strength of the materials limit how much they bend. Weaker materials( many cheap plastics) will break under these types of stresses, unless you make them very thick.

There is a reason that type of stand is made out of metal. Now you can achieve some overhang. But you have to constantly think of the structural column of cake you are working with.

Or ask elves.

JGMB Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:10pm
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

Or ask elves.

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

I remember reading a whole thread on this, probably a year ago, and I think it was Doug who told exactly how to do it. I'll see if I can find it.

JGMB Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:14pm
post #10 of 18

Okay, there were actually 2 threads on this:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6666994.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-583854-.html

If you make one, please let us see!!!!!

Auntie_RaRa Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:30pm
post #11 of 18

I took a demo class at convention in Chicago. Her name is Kathy Finholt and I do believe she is from Iowa and she uses the Stress Free System. Of all the demos I wanted, this was the one I wanted the most because I use that system. She put cakes on masonite boards and used the metal rings and talked about the placement for the cakes. I would have to find and decipher my notes to get all the info.

jenmat Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:45pm
post #12 of 18

i have stress free, and yes, this would be very easy with that system. Its not about the cake, its always about the support system.

2txmedics Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:20pm
post #13 of 18

Tks all!!!! I appreiate it, as to making one of these, yet....ahhh Im still at "Hello" with cakes!....lol

but researching alot to learn things.

Ivy383 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:45pm
post #14 of 18

Cool thread! icon_biggrin.gif

Ivy383 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:46pm
post #15 of 18

Cool thread! icon_biggrin.gif

cakeandpartygirl Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 3:23pm
post #16 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

Tks all!!!! I appreiate it, as to making one of these, yet....ahhh Im still at "Hello" with cakes!....lol

but researching alot to learn things.

But I bet cakes had you at hello!! icon_lol.gificon_razz.gificon_biggrin.gif

annie14kakes Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 4:21pm
post #17 of 18

For all interested in this method of stacking, I just bought a DVD by Kaye Hartman of Petal Crafts. You can go to the Petal Crafts website to view.

2txmedics Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 4:04am
post #18 of 18

Yes!!! They sure did have me at Hello!!!! I use to get so frustrated at not being able to do something with a cake ....and Im finally to the point, that its JUST A CAKE!!!....try the techinque out and learn, if it comes out great, if not, take a deep breath and research what you can do to fix it or change it....lol

Petal craft, I cant find the stacking dvd, other than sharons...and I already have that one...is there another?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%