Jopalis Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 9:54pm
post #1 of

Sorry to ask. I know there are postings but when I do a search I keep getting message that says they don't exist!

I am interested in knowing how to hold a stencil on the side and top of a fondant covered cake.... then do I apply R.I. ? Do I do any piping? I am planning white on white... Any help in how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

25 replies
mjs4492 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 10:02pm
post #2 of

"prettycakes" helped me a great deal with stenciling. I know you will probably have trouble getting to her through a PM or finding her gallery photos, but she had a pink cake with flowery stenciling on the sides. She put buttercream in small amounts over the stencil, then lifted it off. Looked almost painted on!

mjs4492 Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 10:04pm
post #3 of

I'm sorry, it was "prettycake". icon_redface.gif

JanH Posted 18 Jan 2007 , 10:34pm
post #4 of

mjs4492, you were a BIG help icon_smile.gif

Here's prettycake's thread:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-46582-stencil.html+buttercream

And other stencil threads:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-37870-stencil.html+buttercream

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-33746-stencil.html+buttercream

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-34391-stencil.html+buttercream

HTH

Jopalis Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 8:23am
post #5 of

Thank you but you're right no photos for anyone by that name.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 1:33pm
post #6 of

Having never done this technique myself I tried doing a search online but couldn't find anything. Hopefully someone here has done this or knows how and will be able to help you out. Good luck.

fooby Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 1:55pm
post #7 of

Hi Jopalis,

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but here's what I found.

http://www.ladycakes.com/pleated_fondant.htm

HTH

loriemoms Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 4:07pm
post #8 of

One of the gals at one of my ICES meetings did a stencil on a cake she had demod. She used Royal Icing, that she smoothed down very well over the stencil, and then slowly lifted it straight up. It was cool looking!

fooby Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 4:22pm
post #9 of

I found this on baking911.com (http://www.baking911.com/decorating/cakes_fondantrolled_decos.htm). It says:

"Paint" on Color: Once you apply Fondant, you can "paint" it with food color in specific areas.

You want to use a dry, powdered food color, not paste or gel. Moisten the color with lemon extract grain alcohol, such as gin or vodka, instead of water. Alcohol doesn't melt the icing because it evaporates quickly, leaving the color on the Fondant. I prefer to use pure lemon extract, readily available in the grocery store and it contains more alcohol than than gin or vodka (87 percent), so it evaporates more quickly. Make a mixture of the powdered food color and the lemon extract so it resembles milk. If it streaks, it's too liquidy, so add more powdered food color; if it's too thick, add more lemon extract. Test with a small piece of rolled fondant to get the proper "paint" consistency before applying to an entire cake.

To do, mix 1/2 cup royal icing with glycerin until it is the consistency of cream. (1/2 cup of royal will cover a large cake). Deep colors work really well. The addition of glycerin will make the "color paint" workable for a longer time. Glycerin is a good choice for a large cake, however water would work for a small cake. The humidity of the workroom will influence the working time. Add color and mix until evenly distributed. Pour a portion of the color into a flat tray or platter.

I guess you can use a stencil on the sides of your cake covered with fondant and paint using the mixture above.

HTH!

mjs4492 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 4:28pm

couldn't you also make the fondant stencil, cut it out and lay it on to the fondant-covered cake?

The reason I'm asking is because I got the new catalog from Pfeil-Holing and in the stencil section it had a cake that looked like the stencil part was raised? Couldn't understand how the raised part was cut out? Very intricate pattern. Guess it could have been icing?

Never done it but want to try.

Narie Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 4:57pm

http://www.designerstencils.com/videos.shtml This site has some excellent videos on stenciling. Two of them are putting royal icing on fondant, both sides and top.

mjs4492 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 5:13pm

thanks Narie!!!!!!! great choice of stencils too. Can't get video to run though icon_cry.gif

loriemoms Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 5:26pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs4492

couldn't you also make the fondant stencil, cut it out and lay it on to the fondant-covered cake?

The reason I'm asking is because I got the new catalog from Pfeil-Holing and in the stencil section it had a cake that looked like the stencil part was raised? Couldn't understand how the raised part was cut out? Very intricate pattern. Guess it could have been icing?

Never done it but want to try.

That cake is done with Royal Icing as the stencil. Its beautiful, isn't it?

loriemoms Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 5:39pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

http://www.designerstencils.com/videos.shtml This site has some excellent videos on stenciling. Two of them are putting royal icing on fondant, both sides and top.

Thanks for posting that! Terrifc demos!!!

Jopalis Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 5:48pm

Thank you all so much for your input. I will be giving this a shot in the next few days. I did see that you can use tape but I am going to use the kind for painting because it sticks lighter so as not to damage the paint (fondant). I want to get it tight to the cake so I can try to not get the RI under the stencil. I appreciate the resources to tutorials, etc. so much. Fooby thank you ever so much for the instructions on painting the stencil. Actually, my plan was white RI stenciling on white fondant so maybe that will work out a little easier for me than painting for my first time. I have copied all your info and saved it on my computer though for next time! icon_biggrin.gif
I wonder what the consistency of the R.I. should be and what I should spread it on stencil with.... looks like a thin spackle tool. Lots of firsts going into this cake. MMF, marbled MMF, marzipan fruit, stenciling,... It is for family and due Wednesday. I also wonder if I should stencil the cakes separately or after I place them. Just two of them.... I think I am also going to do a dry run on a piece of fondant on a pan or bowl or something. I read the nice thing is if it messes up you can just scrape off and start over... I don't know...

mjs4492 Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 6:10pm

video was to helpful - now I've got to try something else! and something else to buy! icon_lol.gif

loriemoms: after watching the video, yes, it dawned on me that it was royal icing! I love the raised look and had no idea! icon_redface.gif Beautiful!!!!!!

ShirleyW Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 8:18pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooby

Hi Jopalis,

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but here's what I found.

http://www.ladycakes.com/pleated_fondant.htm

HTH

How funny, that is my post from years ago. Good, it saves me having to type all the instructions. icon_biggrin.gif

2sdae Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 8:19pm

I have seen people roll out their fondant and then apply super pearl dusts over their stencil and then cover their cake and it is really pretty and elegant.

fooby Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 11:50pm

[/quote]How funny, that is my post from years ago. Good, it saves me having to type all the instructions. icon_biggrin.gif[/quote]

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

TexasSugar Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 1:25am
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyW

How funny, that is my post from years ago. Good, it saves me having to type all the instructions. icon_biggrin.gif

Shirley, I was wondering if you were the one from LC. icon_smile.gif Glad to know you are. You always do such pretty work.

I've used a plastic stencil one a buttercream cake. After the buttercream crusted I used a spatula to spread a thin coat icing over the top of the stencil. It worked fine. I held the stencil in place with my fingers. Mine wasn't alot of colors so I didn't need it in place for a long time.

mjs4492 Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 4:14am

I watched the video from that site that Narie shared -

They don't use a spatula on the sides of the cake with royal icing or on the top of the cake using buttercream? It was a small scraper-looking tool.
I'm guessing that you could use a spatula for both??

fronklowes Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 4:17am

Here's the link to prettycake's stenciled cake (picture) and how she did it. She used buttercream.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-46582-stencil.html

Jopalis Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 6:11am

Thanks again...you guys! That pink cake is pretty! I will probably just use my class little spatula.... It's a small stencil.... a vine....

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 10:07am

Jopalis, I'm glad you found what you were looking for. I also gained a lot of knowledge and ideas from this thread. Thanks all. The funny thing is that when I did the search (Google) yesterday, I did see the instructions for painting, but remembered you had said you were looking for stenciling with RI, so I didn't mention it.

I'm glad that ShirleyW wrote that the other instructions were hers. When I first read them through the link that fooby posted I was wondering if it was from our own (CC) ShirleyW. I keep telling myself that not everyone is part of the CC community, but the more I learn and see on the internet regarding this industry the more I see the same faces and names appearing and realize yes, it is a small world.

Jopalis, thanks again for starting this thread. And a special thanks to Narie for her link to that wonderful stenciling site. Wow, was that a great site! I'm trying to think of that as something to do in the future since I'll put me and my family in the poor house if I look too closely. icon_cry.gif {I want stencils now!}

Jopalis Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 7:10pm

You're welcome Sugar Plum Fairy! I am a fairly newbie to this and this site has been a fantastic resource.... ideas, support, etc. I am currently only in Wilton 3. Just did my first fondant cake last week. I have been preparing for hubby's birthday cake this coming Wednesday. It will be a coconut cake with coconut cream filling. It will have a 10 inch bottom cake that will be white with white grapevine stenciling on the side. On top of that I am putting a small oval cake covered in black & white marbled fondant and it will have marzipan fruit on it. There are a lot of firsts for me on this cake! I have asked questions about MMF, stenciling and marzipan! It is a wonderful commeraderie on here!

AuntEm Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 2:17am

I learned about stenciling at the ICES convention last year. I tried it last week (See photos "royal butterflies and roses" if you are interested) It was really easy, looked really nice to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%