Help!! How Do I Achieve Burgundy Gum Paste?

Decorating By tsal Updated 27 Mar 2010 , 4:06am by tsal

tsal Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:09am
post #1 of 5

I'm trying to make burgundy flowers for the wedding cake that's due Saturday, but I am having trouble achieving a burgundy color.

I have a burgundy gel color but I just get a yucky pink color.

How do I do this?

4 replies
nhbaker Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:22am
post #2 of 5

I had to make burgandy a while back. If I recall, I used a touch of black. If you have pre-made black fondant start by working in a little at a time along with your burgandy. If you don't just put in a little black with a tip of a toothpick and then add in some more burgandy until you can get the desired color. Also, I find that gumpaste darkens up a bit as it sits so go a tad lighter than you like and let it sit for a bit.

Here's a pic of my burgardy flowers. Hope this helps!
LL

alewop Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:44am
post #3 of 5

I had red fondant and added purple to it. I didnt go a dark burgundy though....so im not sure how that would turn out. Maybe purple and black to red fondant? Of course the best way is always trail and error. Just pinch a bit of fondant off and go at it icon_smile.gif

jamiekwebb Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:09pm
post #4 of 5

Yeah I have the burgundy gel color too, for me to get the color that I wanted I used that and a little black. The black made all the difference in the world for me.

tsal Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 4:06am
post #5 of 5

Thanks! icon_smile.gif It turned out a little on the brown side, but I went with it anyway.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%