Crusting Or Non-Crusting Buttercream?

Decorating By KS421 Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 2:00am by prterrell

KS421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KS421 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 3

Just wondering if there are situations when you want to use one over the other or if it's just a preference. I have usually use crusting buttercream but I don't know if that is always the right one to use.

Thank you for your info.

2 replies
lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:11am
post #2 of 3

For me I have always used crusting buttercream. Never had a problem for what ever the occasion arises. Plus I can make my buttercream cakes look like fondant and the chefs around here always think it is fondant. Even the brides when they visit my website or look at my photo books, think my cakes are fondant. I just roll the edges and use the viva towel method. The only change I might make to it is my adding more liquid to make it not so crusting to ice my cakes and then apply the edible images onto the cake. That way the edible image sheets, melt into the buttercream better. It gives me just a little more working time, if I am doing this method with the edible images. Hope this helps. Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:00am
post #3 of 3

I generally use IMBC for everything. However, I do use crusting BC when I need to keep costs down, like when I'm doing a ton of cupcakes for kids at church or school.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%