Making Drapes Out Of Fondant Icing

Decorating By GillyH Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 5:13am by madgeowens

GillyH Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Everybody I have made a couple of cakes now and I was thinking of having a bash at making drapes or curtain effects out of fondant , Has anybody got any links or tips that might help me Many thanks

5 replies
madgeowens Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyH

Hi Everybody I have made a couple of cakes now and I was thinking of having a bash at making drapes or curtain effects out of fondant , Has anybody got any links or tips that might help me Many thanks

I WILL TELL YOU WHAT HELPED ME, WAS WATCHING bUDDY ON CAKE BOSS DO HIS DRAPES.......OOPS SORRY ABOUT CAPS...if you go to his website you may be able to catch a video of him doing his drapes...hth

lisamenz Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:04am
post #3 of 6

Years ago, when I first started cake decorating , The I.C.E.S cake magazine had a lady who did the most beautiful drapes out of buttercream. It was a turtorial on this. I still have the magazine somewhere lol. but what she did was do a heavy crusting buttercream and then took a viva paper towel with your sides of her fingers or side round parts of her hands and carved the buttercream into drapes on each tier. I have done this method on smaller cakes and it works great and very easy to do. You can change the draping as you go if you don't like it, just as long as you work with the crusting buttercream before it sets up. Hope this helps, Good luck thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:31am
post #4 of 6

One of my FIRST works in fondant was fondant theater drapes: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1279708

If I could do it on my 1st or 2nd fondant cake, you can do it! thumbs_up.gif A fellow CC'er was very helpful!

Rylan Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:45am
post #5 of 6

Check out the link on my signature. Under the basic tutorials, you can find several drape tutorials (some are in between pages).

madgeowens Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:13am
post #6 of 6

Rylan your the best!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%