Help With Steaming Cake To Make It Shiny

Decorating By CAKE_NEWBIE Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm by ginsum

CAKE_NEWBIE Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 7

Hey Guys

I have heard on here that you can steam your fondant to make it shiny. I dont have a steamer and I was wondering if an iron set on cool and steam would give the same effect. its a brand new iron never been used. Has anyone ever tried this?

6 replies
ginsum Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 7

I use a portable clothes steamer that you I got at a CVS drug store. It only cost about $20. It is great for steaming gumpaste flowers also. That sets the colors and makes them look more realistic.

mamawrobin Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 7

I bought a clothes steamer as well and I love it. I'm not sure about using the iron but if you do let us know if it works. I have to say that since I bought the steamer I NEVER use an iron anymore for my clothes. That thing is amazing.

LateBloomer Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 7

I steam with the steam from my kettle. Works beautifully. Hold the flowers about a 10cm from the kettle and only for a few seconds till it gets a shiny look. Be careful not to hold it too long. If you want to look at my pictures I steamed all the nasturtiums and leaves this way.

sugaah Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:45pm
post #5 of 7

I was not that impressed with steaming fondant. It was shiny while wet but the shine didn't last and my steamer leaked drops of water - what a mess but when it all dried it was okay but no shine.

LateBloomer Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:14am
post #6 of 7

Steaming fondant does not really make it shiny. But it gets rid of all the loose colour power and I like the look. It makes flowers look more alive and natural. If you want to go real shiny, spray with something like Pam or use confectioners glaze. You can dilute this with alcohol.

ginsum Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 7

It is really helpful to steam fondant when you have covered the cake with a dark color- especially chocolate. It gets rid of the excess powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%