How To Ice With Bag/tip

Baking By mommybaker602 Updated 4 Apr 2010 , 5:12am by dguerrant

mommybaker602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommybaker602 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:43pm
post #1 of 9

So, I have an order for 28 dozen (336!) cuppies in May for my daughter's preschool. My question: when you ice them with a bag/tip, do you start in the center and work out, or start on the outer edge and work in? I plan to use a couple different tips, I think. The 1M and maybe just a plain circle for the smooth look. I know I've seen some that look like they use the 1M and start in the center and work out, but then others work from the outside in. What's your preferred method?

Also, do you put the cuppie on a cake turn table and ice, or just put it in the insert/box and then ice it? I want this to be as easy as possible considering the quantity!

Thanks!

8 replies
cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:57pm
post #2 of 9

with the 1M tip if you start in the center and work out you make a rose, start on the outside and work in and you get a nice swirl.

"Standard" swirl is outside in for both the 1M and the large round tips.

To frost the masses - put those baked cuppies into the boxes you plan to transport in and do you swirls on them right in the box.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 9

wilton has a nice tutorial for 1M:

http://www.wilton.com/technique/1M-Swirl

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 9

I always work from the outside in, so that I can "build" up and give it a nice mound.

I would not mess with a nail or turntable. I just set them out in front of me in rows and go down each row. It would take to much time to switch out after each one!

Just did some yesterday, (only 24) and had them in my Tupperware cupcake carrier. Never even touched them, just swirled each one and put 1-2 fondant daisies on top. I had all 24 done in 10 or 15 mins. The most time consuming part is re-filling the bag, because you go through a LOT of icing!

Here's the pic. I think this is what you're talking about, right?
LL

mommybaker602 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 9

millermom--what tip did you use for that smooth look?

What did you make your daises out of? For the cuppies I'm doing, I'm thinking of making the school's logo out of candy melts and putting it on top. It woudln't melt due to the sugar/grease in the icing, right? I'm planning to use IndyDebi's BC.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I like the rose look, but I think I'll do some smooth and some 1M roses.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:46pm
post #6 of 9

Sorry, I forgot to mention that it was tip 1A; large, round opening.

No, the candy melts won't break down; they should work well. My daisies were made from MMF, and I made them a month or so ago, but had some left over and used them on these (these were just a thank-you for a friend)

Good luck with yours. I'd love to see them when you're done!

mommybaker602 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 9

I'll try to post them when I do them. They're for my daughter's preschool graduation in May icon_smile.gif

Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 2:49am
post #8 of 9

I use an ateco 809. I do mine with a "puff" of icing. I also learned for the swirl, the bigger the tip, the fewer swirls you have.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 5:12am
post #9 of 9

definately put them in the boxes and you can knock them out quickly. think assembly line, have everything made ahead and it should go smoothly. good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%