Covering A Cake In Modeling Chocolate Vs Fondant ?????

Decorating By babycakes73 Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 8:16pm by AKS

babycakes73 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 5

Is it easier or better to cover a cake with modeling choclate vs fondant? Does it dry out or crack as easily as fondant. I really want to try using it but not sure if it is better for certain applications.

4 replies
mamawrobin Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 5

I don't think you can cover a cake with just modeling chocolate but you can mix it with fondant then cover your cake. I think the ratio is like 50/50.

Motorhead Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:18pm
post #3 of 5

i have just covered my last cake with green modeling chocolate. perhaps i should of tried a smaller cake first. but it did cover the cake just fine, and when i polled everyone and asked what they prefered fondant or the chocolate-it was a split! i find the modeling choc less sweet as compared to just straight fondant. i also used a hairdryer to help the cake appear more seamless and give it a shinny smooth surface-something you cannot attempt with fondant. i have not tried the 50/50 for cake covering-just for figures. but that should work too! HTH icon_rolleyes.gif

jennywenny Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 5

I've done a book cake that I covered with modelling chocolate and it was pretty straight forward. The modelling chocolate isnt quite as easy to smooth like fondant but I think I prefer the flavor.

AKS Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 5

I know that Susan Morgan from Elegant Cheesecakes covers her wedding cheesecakes in modeling chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%