Rip Strawberry Cake #3!

Baking By FranklyFoxxy Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 8:07pm by FranklyFoxxy

FranklyFoxxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FranklyFoxxy Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 14

Last night I attempted my 3rd strawberry cake and once again it died on me. I used a white box cake recipe plus a strawberry gelatin mix. My oven was set for 325 degrees. I let my cake cook for 40 minutes. It stood proud like a soldier and then I took it out and it collapsed. Now I must confess that I used my brand new kitchenaid on this cake and let it whip my batter for more than 3 minutes. Could this have been the reason why my cake past away? The other cakes I made was whipped with a hand mixer and it still did the same thing. So is it my beating the mix too long or is it something I should know about adding gelatin/pudding mix to my cakes? What's the rule to combining cake ingredients (mix dry ingredients together then mix the liquid ones)? Please help!!! send me a link to watch, just help me! icon_biggrin.gificon_cry.gif

13 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 14

I've made strawberry cakes before and never had a problem. I'm thinking it's the gelatin..???? Never heard of that as an ingredient. I use the WASC recipe and sub out liquid strawberry margarita mix for the water. I've baked on 325 and 350...and beat the batter more than 2 minutes (by mistake). Are you sure you oven is baking at 325? Sometimes my bakes too hot. I had to get an oven therometer and saw that my oven is not consistant at sometimes. Hope you get the answer you are looking for.

FranklyFoxxy Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 14

I am positive that I baked my cake at 325. The mix tasted delicious and I was sure that it was going to be a great cake. I just don't understand why i can't make a perfect strawberry cake. icon_redface.gif

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 14

what size was the cake, and how deep was the tin? 40 minutes might eb fine for a thin layer, but wont do for a thicker cake. how did u test it to check it was ready?
xx

cakesbybert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbybert Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 14

It sounds like you are over mixing (2 mins if more than enough time) and under baking. Always test cakes before removing from oven, I have rarely had a cake done in 40 mins baking at 325.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:31pm
post #6 of 14

The Jello could be adding extra sugar and throwing off the balance of ingredients?

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:43pm
post #7 of 14

Not so sure about the gelatin in that recipe. You may want to consider changing the recipe.
For my strawberry cakes, I use WASC, with strawberry cake mix.
-Sub strawberry yogurt for the sour cream
-Add 10-12 tbl strawberry preserves
- Use half vanilla and half strawberry extract for the flavoring.
-For the pudding mix, I just use vanilla

It always comes out wonderfully!

FranklyFoxxy Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:56pm
post #8 of 14

I used two 8x2 cake pans and i poured 2 1/2 cups of batter in each one. They both fell. I got this recipe from ladycakes.com and followed the recipe step by step.

cakelace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelace Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:02pm
post #9 of 14

Tried a poke cake? you make the cake, bake it, and then poke holes all in it and pour the gelatin over it and pop it in the fridge. It's pretty each slice, really moist, and yummy. I've seen 1 cake devoured in one sitting by 4 ladies!

FranklyFoxxy Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:11pm
post #10 of 14

Cakelace, your poke cake sounds good. I just hope I won't deflate the cake before it's time to poke hole in it icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklyFoxxy

I used two 8x2 cake pans and i poured 2 1/2 cups of batter in each one. They both fell. I got this recipe from ladycakes.com and followed the recipe step by step.

2-1/2 cups of batter per pan isn't enough. Wilton recommends 3-1/2 cups per 8" layer, with a suggested baking time of 35-40 minutes at 350F.

I always bake at 325F, so the reduced oven temperature shouldn't have adversely affected your recipe, I just don't think you used enough batter per pan, and the layers shrunk up when they cooled.

Rebecca Sutterby gives many flavor variations for the WASC, one of which uses strawberry gelatin for a strawberry cake. I tried it and it baked up fine, but I thought it was a bit on the sweet side. Now I just use strawberry extract in place of almond and it's perfect - just like all the other variations of WASC.

And as has been said, improper mixing is probably one of the main reasons for cake failures...

So, when it comes to mixing, MORE (as in more speed or longer mixing time) is not BETTER. Overmixing will develop the gluten and result in a tough cake. Overmixing will also cause a cake to sink.

If using a stand mixer, beat for the recommended amount of time using the LOWEST speed (but don't let the motor strain).

If using a hand mixer, beat for the recommended amount of using using the MEDIUM speed (but don't let the motor strain).

(I would say that improper measuring is also a big deal.) How are you mixing/baking the recipe.

One of the basic techniques in scratch baking is measuring flour accurately.
When measuring flour, do you use the "scoop and drag" method and then shake to level.... You should be aerating the flour prior to gently spooning it into the measuring cup and using a straight edge to level.

Additionally, sifting your cake mix will elimimate those pesky "lumps" that just can't be beaten into submission by faster/longer mixing (which also over develops the gluten).

For learning the basic of cake making, I'd recommend: www.joyofbaking.com

Handy cake troubleshooting charts:

http://tinyurl.com/2p5bdu

http://tinyurl.com/32goqe

http://tinyurl.com/6c745g

http://tinyurl.com/6lpjww

http://tinyurl.com/yay22w

HTH

GL79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GL79 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:41pm
post #12 of 14

I too add gelatin to my mix, but I make sure that I use the sugar free and the good brand. I normally beat it at 2 min max. and never had a problem.

ambernd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ambernd Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:46pm
post #13 of 14

It's the jello! I have tried this same recipe again and again and it always falls or does something funny. That recipe is for cakes that aren't meant to be so level and pretty. I have been looking for another strawberry cake recipe and the above post about adding the margarita mix sounds like a great idea as well as the one below it with the preserves and strawberry flavoring. I may have to try both and see what I like besticon_smile.gif Thanks!

FranklyFoxxy Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:07pm
post #14 of 14

I definitely shake my cake to level it and I never sift my cake mix for accuratecy. What does don't let the motor strain mean?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%