How Much Ganache

Decorating By MissCakeCrazy Updated 27 Mar 2010 , 5:40pm by Sagebrush

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 5

I am going to make a 8" square gift box cake with ganache underneath the fondant to create sharper edges. How much ganache do I need and how much cream and choc shall I use?

4 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 5

Just one quantity will be plenty - and what you have left over you can freeze for up to 3 Months

300 ml of cream
600gm chocolate.

Bluehue

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 5

I know Bluehue answered your question but just for reference if I use 16 oz of choc to 8 oz of cream, it makes about 3 cups. On Wilton.com they have estimates for how much frosting you need for each cake size and I use that as a general guideline. It's been pretty spot on so faricon_smile.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 5

I should have added that if my cake is 3 - 4 inches high i tort it twice.
Then cover in ganache.
Still have more than enough - as you do not need to slap it on thick as a brick. ...(great Australian termanology there Bluehue icon_rolleyes.gif )

Oh and as we only use metric - i never thought to right the imperial measurements - icon_redface.gif

Bluehue

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 5:40pm
post #5 of 5

I made the double chocolate layer cake from epicurious yesterday:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Double-Chocolate-Layer-Cake-101275

I followed the recipe for the ganache exactly, and I ended up wishing I'd had a little more so that I had enough to smooth out the finish properly. I did cool it down and spread it like frosting... maybe I should have poured it while it was still warm. It tasted fabulous, though... love the recipe!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%