Decorating The Day Before?

Decorating By AmateurSuperMom Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 4:24pm by TexasSugar

AmateurSuperMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmateurSuperMom Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:13pm
post #1 of 4

I am making my first "real" cake for my daughter's birthday this weekend. Thanks to these forums and youtube videos, I have learned A LOT! icon_smile.gif. I did a partial practice run a couple weeks ago.

I'm planning to frost the cake with regular white icing (powdered sugar, shortning, etc.) and then stick fondant cut-outs to it. Any tricks to sticking the fondant cut-outs to this type of icing, and can I do it the night before?

I had considered covering the entire cake with fondant, but since I'm stacking 12" and 8", I decided that rolling fondant out to cover a 12" cake is going to be a little difficult for a newbie like myself. So to save myself some stress, I'm going to use regular icing, and smooth it as best I can, thanks to help from videos!

Any tips are welcome!! Most important question is about decorating the night before.

3 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 4

Of course you can decorate the night before. That is actually better on you for the stress factor. That way if things take longer than you thought or you run into a mishap, you still have the next morning to work on it.

To glue fondant to buttercream, I use either vanilla or piping gel. You just need a little bit of either.

AmateurSuperMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmateurSuperMom Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 4

is it ok for the cake to be uncovered overnight? I don't have anything large enough to cover it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 4

Un covered as in iced but sitting out in the air? Yes. The icing keeps the air from drying out the cake so that it stays moist.

If you mean un-iced, I'd just wrap it in plastic wrap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%