Eeek - How Long To Bake And Pipe 200 Cupcakes???

Baking By Roxybc Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 3:41pm by janeoxo

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 16

I've just been asked to do an order of 200 cupcakes for a work event on Wednesday April 8. I've never made this many before, and my oven (as all UK ovens are) is TINY, so I can only cook 24 cupcakes at a time. Can someone tell me how long it would take to bake and pipe a swirl onto 200 cupcakes? The Monday is Easter, so I'd have that off of work, but would have to work on the Tuesday. I'm wondering if I could try and bake most of them on the monday and keep them in sealed containers before putting them in the cardboard boxes to bring in on the Wed. Would they still taste ok a day and a half later?

15 replies
ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 16

In a sealed container they shld be fine... I bake my cakes 1 day in advance b4 icing them and they are fine. Again sealed is the key word....

Roxybc Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 16

Should I ice them straight away as well so the moisture is sealed in?

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:34pm
post #4 of 16

Can you bake ahead of time and freeze them, then ice them all on that Monday?

ChunkkeeMunkkee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChunkkeeMunkkee Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 16

I wouldn't. I don't like my butter cream to be super crusted. I would ice them the day u plan to serve. But then it's a matter of preference. AND ICING

Roxybc Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 16

Nope, again cuz I live in the UK we have smaller applicances, which means my freezer is only the size of an older style US top freezer from the fridge /freezer combo. I should really take a picture of my appliances so you can all understand how ridiculously small they are. Coming from Canada where our appliances were the same size as the US ones is really frusterating! icon_mad.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 16

Took me 37.5 hours to do 420 cupcakes from start to finish (non stop)
That was with Regalice (my typr of fondant) on top with 11 flowers (again made out of Regalice) sugar glued on top - then a little gold cashous in the middle of every flower.

So i am thinking - seeing as you have to work on the Tuesday - and deliver them on the Wednesday.....

Start cooking on the Sunday -
Freeze what you can -
Pop the others into air tight containers ( ChunkkeeMunkkee said) -
Then take the ones out of the freezer Tuesday before you fo to work -
And pipe the tops on them all Tuesday night.

Don't pipe them whilst frozen - as it could make your *piping* collapse due to the moisture on top of the defrosting cakes.

If you can - have your *medium* made ready to pipe on the Monday night so as when you get home from work on the Tuesday - you can start piping.

Once they are piped/decorated they will be fine over night ready for delivery on the Wednesday.

Don't put them in sealed containers tho - let them breath once decorated.

I transported mine using large bread loaf tray that i got from my local Bread shop.

It might sound daunting - but if you can get the baking done a couple of days before - you will be fine.

Bluehue.

cakemom42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom42 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 16

Having lived & baked in Germany I understand the problem of appliance sizes :0)
I baked items & stored them in a cool spot in the appartment. A room that has no sunlight that you can turn off the heat to (or pump in cool air). Wrap your products in plastic wrap 2 times & they will keep for up to 2 days. Also a doctored cake mix will be moist enough to do this with rather than a scratch made one. Be sure for safety sake to not keep them out for more than 2 days.
Piping icing on 200 cupcakes shouldn't take more than 20 mins if you have the icing made & ready to go.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:57pm
post #9 of 16

How long does it take you to make and bake 24? Take that time and multiply it by 9. It is actually 8.33, but I'd round it up myself.

If you are just doing a swirl on them, I'd say probably figure about 30 mins for each batch of cupcakes. It probably wouldn't take that long, but I always guess more than I think myself. I'd rather have extra time left over than rushing around cause I didn't have enough time.

You also have to consider how many batches of icing you need to make, as well as where you are putting 200 cupcakes before and during delievery.

Roxybc Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:59pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemom42

Having lived & baked in Germany I understand the problem of appliance sizes :0)
I baked items & stored them in a cool spot in the appartment. A room that has no sunlight that you can turn off the heat to (or pump in cool air). Wrap your products in plastic wrap 2 times & they will keep for up to 2 days. Also a doctored cake mix will be moist enough to do this with rather than a scratch made one. Be sure for safty sake to not keep them out for more than 2 days.
Piping icing on 200 cupcakes shouldn't take more than 20 mins if you have the icing made & ready to go.

Well, I'd definitely be using cake mix for these, but probably won't bother with a doctord up one, unless you guys really recommend it. I'll try and have my little freezer emptied before I start cooking so I can freeze as many as I can. I got confused and the date is actually a Thursday, so I might not be able to stick to my plan of baking them on the Monday. As for piping the icing on 200 cupcakes in 20 mins, I really don't think that's possible! I'm thinking a couple of hours - at least for me.

pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:04pm
post #11 of 16

I recently did 175 cupcakes. If you can bake 24 at a time then allow 4 hours for the baking. If your frosting is all made up (an hour for that) then you should be able to pipe in an hour. Then of course allow extra time for those unexpected things that always happen. I baked the day ahead and piped the day of. Try to have the cupcakes in their boxes or carrier before you pipe the icing. That way everything stays tidy and you don't run the risk of messing some up by moving them after the icing is on. Good luck. Wear supportive shoes when doing all this because from experience you can get really fatigued in bad shoes or barefoot! Good luck!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:06pm
post #12 of 16

In that case - pipe them all on the Wednesday night -

What is your weather like lately - getting warmer ??

Can you speak to any neighbours and see if they can help you out with the odd batch to pop in their freezer - that way you could get them started earlier?

Just a thought.

Bluehue

love2makecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
love2makecakes Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:10pm
post #13 of 16

Not sure if you have the boxes with cupcake inserts or not, but that is what I use for large orders of cupcakes. I would say do the math on your bake time and then add in the mixing time ect. Icing the cuppies will not take that long, I personally fit 24 into a half sheet cake box with in cuppie insert and put the cooled cupcake in the box then ice them and sprinkle them while in the box. so much easier! when you are finished icing you can throw the lid on the box and they stay really moist like that, try to store them in a cool place.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:18pm
post #14 of 16

While I respect all our wonderful bakers here, I would not freeze some, wrap others, and seal the last bit...I would be concerned of differences in quality. Add some sour cream and all will be moist and well icon_smile.gif Good luck!

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:40pm
post #15 of 16

I am in the UK and when I had to do an order of 250 I got help from a neighbour. We could only bake 24 at a time and ours were all scratch as was the buttercream. These were piped with a swirl and then had homemade decorations added on top (the decorations were made in advance). It took both of us approximately 10 hours each and we stored them on trays and bread trays covered with cling film overnight. They were fine the next day.

HTH

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:41pm
post #16 of 16

I am in the UK and when I had to do an order of 250 I got help from a neighbour. We could only bake 24 at a time and ours were all scratch as was the buttercream. These were piped with a swirl and then had homemade decorations added on top (the decorations were made in advance). It took both of us approximately 10 hours each and we stored them on trays and bread trays covered with cling film overnight. They were fine the next day.

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%