Bride Smolders As Mill Yard Burns

Decorating By tirby Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 9:58pm by tirby

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:18pm
post #1 of 12

Well this is the headline in the paper the day after their wedding!!
I have been asked to make a cake for a 50th wedding anniversary.
Apparantly the groom was a firefighter and as you might have guessed there was a fire call. icon_surprised.gif I dont have all the details yet but can you imagine? something about tux and fire boots icon_lol.gif
ANYWAY, to the cake... I was talking to the daughter of this couple and we came up with a log pile. like 2 logs on the bottom and one on top (pyramid type stack) , maybe flames coming up or something. Drilling a few small holes around the ares where the cake will sit on the board and set it on a tub of dry ice for the smoke effect. ????
SOOOOO on logs jelly rolls or something like that but the stacking part I am not sure what would be best? just lay the two lower logs together and then dowel and cardboard support the top log?
I just think because of the situation when they got married this would be SO fun.
I will take suggestions and any diagrams or drawings any one might like to include (cough cough, Doug cough cough) icon_lol.gif
Also looking for a great Jelly roll recipe (made from a mix)

11 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 12

check out this cake, if the logs don't work out what about this?? Or even as a "top tier" on the logs! so cool!!

http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/bonfire.jpg

doug is sure to be able to configure a stand for you!!

tirby Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 12

ok thats cool. but I think her vision might be more like a log deck....
but that is cool.
Next thought would be HOW do you make cake logs look real?
I havent made anything with wood except thepirate ship. so not sure really

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 12

I would say you're definitely going to want to use fondant on them, if for no other reason for stability, but it also let's you get so many more textures!

tirby Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 12

ok so fondant it si. What about stacking them. Wierd but how do you support a triangle?? I am sure I can get it.

tirby Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:21am
post #6 of 12

no one else have any input?

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:40am
post #7 of 12

OHHHHHH!!!!! Ok. You will make sheet cakes, 3 of them, cut them in half lengthwise, stack them on a firm cardboard, carve them into the log shape, (so now you have 3 "logs"), and then do with them what you will!

Doug, where are you with the diagrams????

tirby Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:34am
post #8 of 12

I have LOOK EVERYWHERE. I cant find any fondant covered log cakes. why?? is it just easier in BC or what. Curioud... I am trying to figure out how to support the top log would I just do it like a normal cake with a board under the top cake? there is just not a lot of room so I was wondering if anyone had thought of anything? and what do you guys think about gumpaste airbrushed flames... then a few holes around the cake board about 1 inch away from the cake..Then putting the board over a bucket of dry ice for the smoke??? let me know if you all have a different idea.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:48am
post #9 of 12

I've seen tree trunks with fondant. In fact I did one. Same concept, only laying down. I would agree, fondant will be the best way to make them look real.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:48am
post #10 of 12

You can actually buy a wood grain texture sheet. I just bought one myself for a cake that will have branches on it. But I would do something like a pound cake for more stability, you can use some kind of pvc piping in the middle if need be and disguise it with the "fire" and have other pipes connecting to the main pipe.

tirby Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:07am
post #11 of 12

this is a quick just off the top of the head idea. Flames Logs smoke
LL

tirby Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:58pm
post #12 of 12

so now how to support the top log? no PVC please

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%